No announcement yet.

Korea is complete ****.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drake, you twit, you've completely lost the thread here.

What exactly is your argument? Why is it that you believe that raw numbers of Koreans at the top of the entertainment industry should be equal to raw numbers of Chinese in the same position? Why do you believe that Koreans should reach the top at 60 times the rate of Chinese, and the fact that they don't is evidence of the superiority of the Chinese?

This is like arguing with a child.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Arguing with a child? You're the one who countered an obvious troll with an even stupider counter-argument...
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Given that I was participating in the thread in which you stated your intention to troll Korea I'd say it's pretty obvious that I knew what this was.

I simply like my trolls a little more numerically literate.
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post
          I don't know anybody who was in Korea

My cousin's grandpa was at Chosin Reservoir. His original American unit got annihilated in an earlier battle, so he was in a UN catch-all unit when the Chinese struck. He had a crazy story about fighting in the dark and freezing cold with Chinese everywhere and Turkish soldiers hacking them up with machetes.
          They have a nice monument to the battle of Chosin Reservoir at Fort Jackson, SC. The South Koreans also had a pretty extensive section of their national military museum dedicated to the Turks as they contributed the second largest fighting forces to the Korean war after the US. The South Korean government even paid to build a huge mosque in Seoul as a way of saying thanks to the Turks even though there was/are very few Muslims in Korea.

The National War museum was just so big and so lavish it was they type of thing only a military dictatorship could build because a democracy would have voters pissed off over so much money being spent on a museum. The good news was all Korean or US service members got in free.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I simply like my trolls a little more numerically literate.

Your counter-troll was ****ing retarded. The Chinese dominance of Asian roles in the American entertainment industry has little to do with population and everything to do with Hong Kong.

A far better counter-troll would've been to ask me to name some Japanese actresses. The only ones I can think of are the chick from Last Samurai and Tamlyn Tomita from Karate Kid II.
            Last edited by Drake Tungsten; January 2, 2010, 23:48.
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I don't know the names of any Korean, Chinese or Japanese actresses, unless you count Lucy Liu and Sandra Oh.

By the way, it's hard to square the claims about HK being key to Chinese predominance over Koreans. Korea's been an American playground for 50 years, dude.
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

By the way, it's hard to square the claims about HK being key to Chinese predominance over Koreans. Korea's been an American playground for 50 years, dude.

So what? A bunch of GIs knocking up local girls doesn't lead to the formation of a major film industry or a critical mass of English-speaking performers.
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

It means that a lot more Koreans had access to Western ambitions for a lot longer than Chinese did through HK.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I'm pretty sure HK was British a century before the U.S. took an interest in Korea.
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I thought we just went over how the Brits are far more proficient at keeping their colonials down than the Americans are...
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Korea was never a U.S. colony. The British impact on HK was far more pervasive than the U.S. impact on Korea has been.
                        KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

It's not about the amount of influence. It's about what form that influence took.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

It's about what form that influence took.

Yes. British influence in HK built it into one of the world's major financial and entertainment centers. U.S. influence in Korea was restricted to GIs watching a border.
                            KH FOR OWNER!
                            ASHER FOR CEO!!
                            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I wouldn't call HK a "major" entertainment center. It's strictly second-rate.
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

HK had the third-largest motion picture industry in the world (after Hollywood and Bollywood) for decades, was the second largest film exporter over that period and has had a large influence on Hollywood filmmaking. It's too bad the ChiComs ruined everything and let Hollywood steal away the biggest stars and directors.
                                KH FOR OWNER!
                                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X