No announcement yet.

787 First Flight is Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow. Those are low ranges. The 747 is apparently a bit higher (7000+)
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

0.85 is nice, but it won't change most flight times significantly. That's less than a half-hour on a transatlantic flight
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

The 777-200LR (mach 0.84) is the longest-range airliner in service:

777-200LR (301-440 people): 9,380 nmi (17,370 km)
        777-300ER (365-550 people): 7,930 nmi (14,685 km)

And the A380:
        A380-800: 535-853 people: 8,200 nmi (15,200 km)
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I don't know much about fluid dynamics, so I'm not sure how bad increased drag/vibration gets as you approach mach 1.

There's not much room for improvement on subsonic planes, and fuel costs on transsonic are high enough that the market for it will never be anything other than niche
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Other numbers:

747-400ER (416-524 people): 7,670 nmi (14,205 km)
            747-8I (467 people): 8,000 nmi (14,815 km)

The 747-8I is the model of the 747 currently in design still. It's a modern upgrade of the 747, but it's mostly going to be used for freighters.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

And she's off!
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

The cabin amenities of most 747s in service are pathetic. The 767s are much nicer. I'm assuming that 787 will be better still.
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Forgot about Airbus' upcoming A350XWB. It'll replace the A330 and compete with the 787 & 777. Coming out in 2014 or so.

A350-800 (270-310 people): 8,320 nmi (15,400 km)
                  A350-900 (314-366 people): 8,100 nmi (15,000 km)
                  A350-900R (310 people): 9,500 nmi (17,600 km)
                  A350-1000 (350-412 people): 7,990 nmi (14,800 km)

Comment

Some free money left on intrade

EDIT: nope, it's gone now
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
                      And she's off!

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                        I don't know much about fluid dynamics, so I'm not sure how bad increased drag/vibration gets as you approach mach 1.

There's not much room for improvement on subsonic planes, and fuel costs on transsonic are high enough that the market for it will never be anything other than niche
                        On a side note, Boeing did extensive studies and it turns out that not painting the engine inlet rim (don't know the technical term) improved aerodynamics by a not-insignificant amount. That's why on the 787, they're not painted while on almost all other planes, they are.

Comment

Big ups on the increased cabin air humidity. Flying in planes gives me fits for days because of the dry air.
                          Seconded!

-Arrian
                          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Of course, while all eyes were on today's flight, there is a great deal more work to do before Boeing can deliver its first 787 to a customer--expected to be All Nippon Airways in 2010, assuming there are no more major delays--or see the plane carry its first paying passengers.
                            For one, there are six 787s that will be part of the test fleet, with 34 total test pilots, and the planes will be put through a battery of in-air stress tests to determine if the model is ready for prime time. All told, said Young, the six 787s--all of which have been built already--will be put through more than 3,000 hours of test flights. In addition, there will be more than 4,000 of ground tests. Young said that either the fourth or the fifth 787--in terms of order of assembly--will be flying tests with a fully fleshed out interior.
                            Among those tests are:
                            • A maximum energy refused takeoff, in which the plane is loaded to its maximum weight and its brakes ground down to the minimum level allowed, and then taxied at full speed down a runway before hitting the brakes. One aspect is to make sure there is no fire.
                            • In-flight stalls, where pilots will make the plane stall at heights of between 10,000 and 15,000 feet to ensure it is capable of regaining control and stability and that it doesn't go into a spin.
                            • Engine out on takeoff, where pilots will cut off power to one engine, and make the plane takeoff in spite of the powerful asymmetrical thrust twists that result.
                            • Tail-strike takeoff, in which the pilots will get the plane in the air despite striking the tail on the ground on takeoff, causing flying sparks. A wood panel will be attached to the tail to make sure the fuselage isn't damaged.
                            • Landings in severe conditions, including strong headwinds, crosswinds and tailwinds.
                            • Being put through severe temperature extremes.
                            • Lightning tests, in which the fuselage will be hit with simulated lightning at a lab at Boeing field.

Comment

The plane is also 100% bulbless, at least in the interior, using LED lighting with 128 different colors possible. Overhead bins are also 30% larger than the current largest in the industry (don't know who that is).

Here's the interior of a business class in "nighttime configuration":

Daytime:

And the cockpit:

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
                                It really looks like a nice plane. It's a shame that it is two years late because of management failures.
                                Better than late than never, you impatient bastard.
                                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                                X