• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Llamas too.
    John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Main_Brain View Post
      What about the Bison or the Buffalo? I am pretty sure the Buffalo provides milk.
      Huh. Come to think of it, it might make milk-worthy cheese. Now I wonder why no tribes domesticated the beasts for labor purposes. But I'm not sure how well Bison Cheese would go with fries and Ranch dressing. And they didn't have bacon.
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
        No doubt. The Ancient Egyptians were hardcore with their beer. The week was 11 days long. The 11th day -- the weekend -- was for beermaking.

They should have used the 11th day for beer drinking.
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

That's what the rest of the week is for

Oh, and Dogfish Head's Midas Touch, linked by Drake, is delicious!
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
            No doubt. The Ancient Egyptians were hardcore with their beer. The week was 11 days long. The 11th day -- the weekend -- was for beermaking.

But I don't know that we would recognize it as beer by taste. I guess you might be able to find a beer without hops in a big liquor store.
            The only ones I can think of are a few makers using traditional recipes for Scots Heather Ale or Scots Pine Ale. I'm sure there are others but those are two I can think of right off the bat. Heather ale dates back to around 2000 BC according to archeological finds and is the same as beer except the hops have been replaced by the flowers and buds of the heather grass. Pine or Spruce ales were originally from Scandinavia but when Vikings invaded Scotland they introduced it to the area with the Shetland Islands being particularly well noted for the production of spruce and pine ales. Captain Cook always had quantities of Scots Pine Ale on his ship while sailing because the vitamin C in Spruce & Pine ales helps fight off scurvy.

Edit: I just looked it up and a Dutch brewer named Jopen makes "gruit beer" which is supposedly a hop free beer popular in the 14th-15th century which uses yarrow, rosemary, and sweet gale instead of hops. I'm going to have to see if I can find that one.
            Last edited by Dinner; December 14, 2009, 12:26.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Scots Pine Ale

Scots Heather Ale

The Google search also turned up Thisted Porse Guld which is a Danish beer brewed with Sweet Gale and Bog Myrtle though the brewery does use a slight amount of hops in their recipe.

Last edited by Dinner; December 14, 2009, 12:41.

Comment

Why am I not surprised that Oerdin felt the need to answer a question that I already dealt with?
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

You half assed it and I did it right, as always.

Comment

I gave Dan the name of a delicious American microbrew without hops that you can buy at any store with a good beer selection. How is your recommendation of a ****ty Scottish pine beer better than that?
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X