No announcement yet.

Would You Quit Over This? (work advice)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would You Quit Over This? (work advice)

I work in a bank. The pay is moderate and work conditions are typical, not bad,
    but I'm underworked and I need change. Two months ago I decided to try to find
    a different position within the bank. I found one, interviewed for it, got accepted.
    Same pay, similar job, but enough of a change to make it interesting.

I asked my superiors for a short "quitting term" (can't remember how it's said in
    English). They consulted amongst themselves and decided that 15 days is OK.
    I agreed. Two days before those 15 days expired, they inform me that they've
    changed their mind and decided to not let me go until they find a replacement.

I'm furious.

Here are my options:

1. Stay with them until they see fitting to let me go
    2. Quit and do a 30 day "quitting period" mandated by labor law
    3. Quit using the "extraordinary circumstances" clause in the law which allows
    me to not have to work a single day more, but I need to justify my reasons in
    writing and they can theoretically take it to court (as far as I can Google, it
    never happened).

Our deal was oral (ahem) and not in writing, but it's still a deal. I consider
    such unilateral breaking of a deal an act of bad faith and a good enough
    reason to stop working there ASAP. However...

1. If I quit, internal bank regulations may prevent me from getting that other
    position because there is a ban on new employment in the company at the moment
    2. I don't have a backup job, I'd be unemployed
    3. We're in the middle of an economic crisis and Croatia is hit relatively hard

I go to great lengths to be correct to people so I take this behavior by my
    employer very personally. I have already put on war paint and I'm ready to
    go fight them on the beaches and in the hills and until the bitter end... but
    before that I'm posting my dilemma here... perhaps some international input
    can help me put things into perspective.

I would look for a job outside the bank, then quit when I found one.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I don't understand. You can't quit and accept any job you want? The only way that would happen here is if they forced you to sign a Non Compete Clause in your contract - is that the basic labor law ASSUMPTION over there?
      Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
      Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

You have to give 2 weeks notice here, or something.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

HAVE to? Wow.
          Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
          Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

I don't know what the economy's like over there, but over here if you quit without another job ready I'd consider you retarded. Certainly if you did it over something relatively trivial. They aren't garnishing your salary for nothing or sexually assaulting you or anything, are they?
            1011 1100
            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd View Post
              HAVE to? Wow.
              Yes. It cuts both ways. Unless you're fired for cause.

They're mandated to give you X weeks notice (depending how long you've worked there, minimum 2 weeks post-probation), or pay in lieu of notice.

I've known people who quit, post-probation, with no notice. It's generally a retarded thing to do but I don't know anyone who's been taken to court over it.

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd View Post
                I don't understand. You can't quit and accept any job you want? The only way that would happen here is if they forced you to sign a Non Compete Clause in your contract - is that the basic labor law ASSUMPTION over there?
                No, I can quit (but I have to give a month's notice) and accept any job in another
                company. The problem here is I've found another job in the same company, and the
                company has a temporary ban on new hiring. If I switch jobs within the company, I
                stay on the same contract. If I quit, the contract is void and I'd have to sign another
                one.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                  I don't know what the economy's like over there, but over here if you quit without another job ready I'd consider you retarded.
                  I prefer the term "optimist"

Certainly if you did it over something relatively trivial. They aren't garnishing your salary for nothing or sexually assaulting you or anything, are they?
                  They aren't. But do you really think treating a man like a toy is trivial?

Comment

Sounds like you're a contractor, so I thought you'd be used to that treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                      Sounds like you're a contractor, so I thought you'd be used to that treatment.
                      Nah, I'm just a regular employee. My English vocabulary is poor, perhaps there is
                      another term for "contract" that would be better suited here. You know, the thing
                      you sign when you accept a job. Is that not a labor contract?

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion View Post
                        I prefer the term "optimist"
                        Tomato, tomahto.

They aren't. But do you really think treating a man like a toy is trivial?
                        They aren't treating you like a toy, they're reneging on a prior verbal agreement. It's not necessarily motivated by contempt for you; it could very well be that someone over your bosses' heads put the kibosh on it. Or they could simply have their heads up their asses. Bearing in mind that unemployment could last for a VERY long time, is your pride worth it?

Oh, and depending on your relationship with your bosses, you could talk it over with them and ask about the reasons behind the change. Just a thought.
                        1011 1100
                        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Asher, I don't think there's any legal requirement for an employee to give notice in Canada.
                          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Killing it is the new killing it
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Perhaps not. There definitely is for tenancy and there definitely is for employers... I haven't looked into it but I'd heard you must give two weeks notice. Maybe it's just a Very Good Rule, not law...

Comment

Why so passive?

Go postal on the bastards. I suggest firearms and lots of explosives.
                              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X