Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LOL at a systemic risk regulator

Watching Barney Frank on CNBC.

I suppose it'll be nice to have a fall guy the next time everything comes crashing down.

You know, assuming that a government agency won't be able to understand and control the risks in the most complex system known to man.

Good luck with that.

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Just artificially limit the size of banks and problem solved. There's never been any
    solid proof that financial institutions benefit from economies of scale. I'm not inventing
    it, I read it on NBER.

As far as regulators, Basle II has good and bad sides. Many bad sides that directly or
    indirectly led to this mess. Most of the stuff related to measuring risk, especially IRB, is
    junk. However, things related to disclosure of data to the market is good stuff and should
    be kept and expanded on.

Comment

Just artificially limit the size of banks and problem solved.

No.
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

We should shut the City and Wall Street down, and hire more cleaners and nurses:

Together we can change the rules to protect the planet, share the wealth and give everyone a say in how the economy is run.

Economics
        Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
        Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
        Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

The authors assume the financial crisis and recession would not have happened without City bankers engaging in risky, opaque and complex transactions.

Good article.

Also, it appears that the authors of the study don't understand the difference between average and marginal productivity, or at least not why pay should be based on marginal productivity and not average productivity...
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Hippies providing countless occasions for amusement to while away the hours between deeply destructive work in M&A -
            Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
            Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

The banking sector should be run according to mafia rules. If you **** up our money, we burn your house to the ground, break your spine, murder your family, and leave you to wallow in your own uncontrollably evacuated excrement.

I think that would work. Or at least it would make for an awesome pay-per-view special.
              John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Saras works in the former East Bloc. I'm pretty sure those are the rules he plays by.
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Come on, nobody's going to defend the assertion that a systemic risk regulator will be able to manipulate the markets so that bubbles and crashes never happen?
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I got nuthin'
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                      Saras works in the former East Bloc. I'm pretty sure those are the rules he plays by.
                      10+ years, baby. There are many widows in this industry.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                        Come on, nobody's going to defend the assertion that a systemic risk regulator will be able to manipulate the markets so that bubbles and crashes never happen?
                        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Then you understand the financial system better than the House Financial Services Committee chairman does.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Barney Frank is obviously a smart dude, but I don't think he's very intellectually honest. It's a bad combination when you take into account the power he wields.
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

He has some good ideas concerning some issues, but I definitely do not agree with where he stands with this.
                              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                              X