Let the good times (almost) roll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let the good times (almost) roll

US payroll -11k, unemployment down from 10.2% to 10%, hours worked up from 33 to 33.2

Not great on an absolute scale. Much better than expected, and much, much better than 6 months ago

Canada LFS employment +79k, unemployment down from 8.6% to 8.5% (QC unemployment 8.1%? Holy crap, I never thought I'd see the day QC had significantly better unemployment than the RoC)
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

QC funds its jobs with taxpayer money. Qu'elle Surprise.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

If something is working it's not because of Obama...

I'm happy BAC is up despite share dilution, there will be dilution. Still, it'll be nice to see the next CEO of that company getting the compensation we all know he deserves [/sarcasm]. Though, really, I'm on the fence concerning executive compensation.
      Monkey!!!

Comment

What's with the unnecessary apostrophe?
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

No idea, I don't speak French. **** you for knowing it was wrong.

That looked right, and vaguely Klingonish.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Japher View Post
            If something is working it's not because of Obama...
            Errr....I never said it was.

I'm happy BAC is up despite share dilution, there will be dilution. Still, it'll be nice to see the next CEO of that company getting the compensation we all know he deserves [/sarcasm]. Though, really, I'm on the fence concerning executive compensation.

Why sarcasm? The next CEO of BAC will not bear any responsibility for its current position if they go external (which I'm assuming they will)

The very fact that BAC is scraping the coffers bare in order to repay TARP and get out from under "executive" compensation restrictions (the word is being thrown around very loosely, as most of the employees impacted are not executives) should tell you how important it is to the company to be able to pay people what it thinks they're worth.

Nobody wanted to take charge of a ****hole company where they weren't even allowed to hire talent because Congress was looking over its shoulder constantly. BAC was getting torn alive by headhunters.
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

They're making a decision on the transfer of tens of billions in order to be able to pay people a few hundreds of millions more. Anybody who doubts the value of the affected employees needs to explain why it's that important to BAC, and why its shares rose after the announcement.

Then they need to explain why it's a good idea to still have tens of billions in Citi while at the same time kicking Citi in the testicles.
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I thought this was going to mean yuo had finished your thesis.

One of my friends did his in 10 days.

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Oops, there goes the market. Mid day nose dive.
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

I don't follow the market. What's the point of trying to discern a pattern in brownian motion?
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Pelosi's idea about using repaid TARP funds to "create jobs" sounds interesting on the face of it but as soon as you see the details it starts looking retarded. It's basically just a slush fund not really targeted at creating any jobs what so ever. Now, if they used the estimated $200 billion for just infrastructure then I'd be ok with that. You could build up some nice light rail with that money, maybe a dam or two, or even some new canals however a slush fund doesn't sound very targeted to me.

I'd be really interested if Obama had the balls to make a New Civilian Conversavation Corp (CCC). FDR got around 4 million people jobs in the CCC at a time when the total US population was only a little north of 100 million. They did absolutely massive amounts of public works for the common good including improving the land of individual farmers by the tens of thousands in order to prevent dust bowl like conditions. To this day all the major national parks out west have a back down of infrastructure and trails made by the CCC plus all the young men who joined were fed, housed, and educated with real job skills to give them a chance for a decent life after the CCC. We could totally use that now and if the new CCC was the same size as the old one, proporational to population, then that would be ~12 million people off of unemployment.
                      Last edited by Dinner; December 4, 2009, 13:24.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                        What's with the unnecessary apostrophe?
                        actually, he was expressing his desire that Quebec would surpirse everone...
                        "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Then he needs to match gender appropriately
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Quebec is feminin no?
                            "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Le Quebec