American Thanksgiving: European Reflections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun View Post
    Nah, it's thanking the natives for getting out of the colonist's new lands.
    Exactly.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Japher View Post
      How do you feel about our, US, Thanksgiving Holiday?

Do feel angry that in some small way it signaled a new age of colonialism followed by a sweeping degraded of colonialism, rise of Western influence, and your eventual fall of power?

Do you feel disgusted that us fat Americans would actually have a holiday that celebrates feasting and football which is not soccer?

Are you indifferent, and wonder why Canadians have Thanksgiving in Februtober?

Are you Thankful in that the US markets are closed and we can't do anything on that day to screw up the world economy?
      I think it's been built up into yet another myth to make your country feel better as a whole over the fact that your nation was in the main part built on the violent murder and enslavery of the Native Americans, and the theft of their land and resources...

For example:

Myth of Thanksgiving

Myth #11: Thanksgiving is a happy time.

Fact: For many Indian people, “Thanksgiving” is a time of mourning, of remembering how a gift of generosity was rewarded by theft of land and seed corn, extermination of many from disease and gun, and near total destruction of many more from forced assimilation. As currently celebrated in this country, “Thanksgiving” is a bitter reminder of 500 years of betrayal returned for friendship.
      There's plenty of sites like that, all in a similar vein...

Such as Thanksgiving myth

Officially, the holiday we know as 'Thanksgiving' actually came into existence in the year 1637. Governor Winthrop of the Massachussetts Bay Colony proclaimed this first official day of Thanksgiving and feasting to celebrate the return of the colony's men who had arrived safely from what is now Mystic, Connecticut. They had gone there to participate in the massacre of over 700 Pequot men, women and children, and Mr. Winthrop decided to dedicate an official day of thanksgiving complete with a feast to 'give thanks' for their great 'victory'....
      A nice story...

Whoever celebrates it without sparing a thought for the real stories behind it, should frankly feel ashamed of themselves...
      Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

What a downer.
        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Don't let him get you down. The Welsh naturally feel kinship towards the other loser nations of the world.
          John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Thanksgiving? Never cared about, never heard the story behind it... but hey, now I have a reason to hate it

I hope this one doesn't end up in Denmark some day

Halloween on the other hand I have always hated, but then in a few months we have our own version of Halloween (Fastelavn), so after Halloween took over, we now have two Halloweens each year
            This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

The Welsh are the most useless of all nations.
              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                The Welsh are the most useless of all nations.
                Maybe, but he is right about this one.
                Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                And notifying the next of kin
                Once again...

Comment

American Thanksgiving: European Reflections

One would think it's preferable to American football.

So, pretty much what BeBro said.

Oh! They couldn't have made Planes, Trains and Automobiles without it, could they?

Definitely -worthy then.

Comment

Excellent movie. The ending made a good movie great.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Kitschum View Post
                      I echo that. I have no particular feelings toward Thanksgiving. Halloween on the other hand
                      +1

Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                      The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                      The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                        No, not right. It may be American, but it's not about that, you idiot!

I think it was... wasn't the holiday orignaly meant to thank God for the victory over the south?
                        Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                        The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                        The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio View Post
                          Halloween on the other hand I have always hated, but then in a few months we have our own version of Halloween (Fastelavn), so after Halloween took over, we now have two Halloweens each year
                          +1

Our equivalent to thanksgiving is caled pust and it actually features some really neat remanants of old pagan rituals.

American holidays and traditions are mostly due to the promotion of stores who wish to get some extra consumer spending out and due to american pop culture surpplanting our own.

By Svetovid and Perun some day we will we need to teach these Vinlanders a lesson!

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                            The Canadian thanksgiving makes more sense as it coincides with the harvest.

Also, the US thanksgiving is too close to Christmas. TOO MUCH TURKEY within a month or so.
                            You have Turkey too? Do you watch The Queen at 3pm too?
                            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                              I have Chinese on Christmas eve every year.

Christmas day is TURKEY DAY pt 2.
                              I have steak or Chinese. Often the latter as I want my mother to not have to cook all the damn time and it is a bit of a treat from me.
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                              X