Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Faux News and its low standards in journalism.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post
    I don't want your protection, Lori. bumfister is free to call me whatever he likes.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

[Q=Dr Strangelove;5712287]Would we generally consider stuff like the attack on the American embassies in Africa or the attack on the USS Cole terrorist attacks on America? I think we would. If that's true we had beau coup terrorist attacks on America during Bush's term, because we would have to include every terrorist attack on an American in Iraq to be a terrorist attack on America.[/Q] Attacks on US military assets overseas are not the topic; we're talking about terrorist attacks in the US proper.

Do we consider the nutcase at Virginia Tech a "terrorist?" The two nutcases at Columbine? Or the school shooting in Kentucky? Maybe the guy who wiped out a whole family in a trailer park a few weeks ago? How about a garden-variety serial killer with a dozen or more notches on his belt? A terrorist isn't defined by saying more than X number of people were attacked, a terrorist has a goal or purpose to advance in the attack. A terrorist sees him/her-self as part of an asymmetrical war effort. These nutcases are driven by real or imagined personal grievances.

Terrorists attack police and military targets, too. Just because the cell caught in NJ was targetting Fort Dix doesn't make them any less terrorists than their 9/11 buddies. The guys who blow themselves up at Iraqi police stations aren't doing it for laughs.

Just because Hasan chose military personnel to target doesn't make him any less a terrorist. Just because Hasan didn't have an OBL-signed jihad membership card doesn't make him any less a terrorist. He identified himself with the terrorists' cause, and acted as a terrorist.
      (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
      (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
      (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Originally posted by Straybow View Post
        Terrorists attack police and military targets, too.
        Nope.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Yep. If they do it in the dress of "a civilian" or "the enemy", yes. You'd have to have been there to know that, I guess.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

What if you can't see what they are wearing? Is that terrorism?
            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Ultimately it depends on why he did it. If he did it just because he "snapped" then it wasn't terrorism. If he did it because he thought the slaughter would influence opinion or as revenge for American attacks in the Middle East then it was terrorism.
              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post
                I don't want your protection, Lori. bumfister is free to call me whenever he likes.
                Fixed for you.

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                  X