Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BREAKING NEWS: Massive shootout in Chicago

25 Chicago Students Arrested for a Middle-School Food Fight

CHICAGO — The food fight here started the way such bouts do in school lunchrooms most anywhere: an apple was tossed, a cookie turned into a torpedo, and an orange plunked someone in the head. Within minutes, dozens of middle-school students had joined in the ruckus, and spattered adults were ducking for cover.

By the end of the day, 25 of the students, ages 11 to 15, had been rounded up, arrested, taken from school and put in jail. A spokesman for the Chicago police said the charges were reckless conduct, a misdemeanor.

That was last Thursday afternoon. Now parents are questioning what seem to them like the criminalization of age-old adolescent pranks, and the lasting legal and psychological impact of the arrests.

“My children have to appear in court,” Erica Russell, the mother of two eighth-grade girls who spent eight hours in jail, said Tuesday. “They were handcuffed, slammed in a wagon, had their mug shots taken and treated like real criminals.”

“They’re all scared,” Ms. Russell said of the two dozen arrested students. “You never know how children will be impacted by that. I was all for some other kind of punishment, but not jail. Who hasn’t had a food fight?”

The students were released into the custody of their parents on Thursday night, the police said. They were also suspended for two days by the school, the Calumet middle-school campus of Perspectives Charter Schools, in the Gresham neighborhood on the South Side.

Diana Shulla-Cose, president and co-founder of Perspectives Charter Schools, said that an on-campus police officer had called for backup as the food fight escalated and that the resulting heavy police presence had led in turn to the large number of arrests.

Ms. Shulla-Cose described the entire episode as “unfortunate” and added, “We don’t take this lightly.”

She also said the school was working individually with the families of students who were arrested to support them through a difficult time, and through the process of getting the youths back to classes.

School officials met with parents on Tuesday to explain the events from their point of view. But some parents questioned what they saw as the random nature of the arrests.

“My daughter said someone threw an apple at her, so she retaliated,” Shirlanda Sivels said. “I said, ‘Why didn’t they grab you, too?’ She said, ‘I don’t know.’ She didn’t feel good about it, seeing her friends taken away.”

If the charges are not thrown out when the students go before a judge this month, criminal justice experts said, the accused will most likely be sentenced to community service or probation. Since they are juveniles, their records would remain confidential until adulthood — 17 under Illinois law — at which point the arrests would be expunged.
    Wow!

Memorial thread is coming soon.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Wait until you get the names and details of all the victims, Asher.
    "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
    "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
    "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Chicago? No doubt these young thugs are part of Obama's Satanic New World Order Secret People's Army SS.
      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Have ming, rah, and Q^3 checked in? How are they dealing with this?
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
          Memorial thread is coming soon.
          Only a True Chicagoan can start the memorial thread, otherwise it doesn't count
          <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

I hear Q^3 got some creamy white stuff in his eye. But he wasn't anywhere near the school.
            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov View Post
              I hear Q^3 got some creamy white stuff in his eye. But he wasn't anywhere near the school.
              Boy I'd like to pound the guy who did that to our Q^3

Comment

I'll definitely make sure he's put in handcuffs.
                Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

When I get through with him, he'll never walk again.

Comment

Ok, I admit, it was me.
                    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Was he buying your mattress?

Comment

Nope, freebie this time.
                        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

God hates you for your charitable contributions.

Comment

Well if I'm going to get that anyway for giving to Planned Parenthood, I might as well go all-in.
                            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

hence the reason for planned parenthood
                              Monkey!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X