The Power of Prayer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
    I was always uncomfortable when, in the hospital, families would ask me to pray with them. I would usually just stand silently by while they prayed.
    I think that is the right thing to do. That is what I have done when I have been with other religions during prayer.

It is also why I don't generally ask others to be involved, and usually don't ask to pray for others unless I think it would be welcome.

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
      Finally, secularly, what does it mean? It means that the person who is offering to pray for you cares about you, cares about what you are going through, and wants the best for you. It is sort of like "I hope the best for you" or "good luck" to the atheist.
      This.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

"What are your religious beliefs?"
        "Something different than yours."
        "I will pray for you in other words you will definitely need all the help you can get not to go to hell but really who am I fooling I'm pretty sure you're going to hell no matter how much praying I do so I'm not really going to pray for you I'm just going to sit here talking like a ****ing *****."
        "Want to see the boil on my ass?"
        "I thought you'd never ask honeycakes."
        And that's how babies are made.
        <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

"My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
          "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Prayer makes the people praying feel good. That's the only reason people do it. Whenever someone tells me "I'll pray for you," I know what he *really* means is that he's praying to make himself feel better. Whatever floats people's boats, but it makes no difference to me one way or another. It is akin to me telling someone I'm going to go have a shot of whiskey in his name. Since he isn't getting the whiskey, why the hell should he care?

I do find it amusing that some folks think an omnipotent, omniscient and benevolent deity is going to interfere only if someone begs him hard enough.
            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

But said Deity really likes people groveling to him
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                But said Deity really likes people groveling to him
                Which eliminates benevolence.
                Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

When talking about mercy, at what point does benevolence start? At mercy being given 10 times? 100 times? More?

If God chooses to have mercy upon one person 100 times, and another person 101 times, does that mean God isn't benevolent? Even if He is asked to have mercy on the person He has mercy on 101 times.

JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Only choosing to grant mercy to someone after someone does a requisite amount of begging is not benevolent in any way.
                    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                      When talking about mercy, at what point does benevolence start? At mercy being given 10 times? 100 times? More?

If God chooses to have mercy upon one person 100 times, and another person 101 times, does that mean God isn't benevolent? Even if He is asked to have mercy on the person He has mercy on 101 times.

JM
                      We only need mercy because of the rules he made in the first place.
                      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

He gives us mercy, without pleading. But once more, why get upset if He gives mercy another time to someone who pleads, when He has already given mercy to everyone over and over again?

Without God we would cease to exist. Does He not have the right to say what should be done with His gifts? It isn't like He is making rules about something that isn't His.

JM
                        (And His rules come down to, basically, love God and love man. These don't seem so hard, but people break them continually.)
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Jon, you're not talking about the same thing I'm talking about.
                          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Opened this thread intending to finally reply. Too much ignorance going on, so screw it. May BK choose to inflict himself upon you all.
                            1011 1100
                            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

That's why I usually say, they'll be in my thoughts, instead of I'll pray for them.

I think that's all people really care about, that you're remembering them.
                              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

"You'll be in my thoughts" is just a simple way of saying "Boy, sucks to be you. I don't want to help monetarily or personally so how about I pretend to give a **** by thinking about you for 10 seconds later in the day?"

Comment

Working...
                                X