Are baby boomers just plain stupid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are baby boomers just plain stupid?

I don't mean your average, run-of-the-mill baby boomer. Obviously they're retarded. I mean those who have significant educations:

“They gave me no help. Nothing. Just ‘Have a nice day,” said Joanne, 51, who asked that we use only her first name. “It was a horrible way to treat people. It was unbelievable.”

Joanne said she suspected her job as a technology consultant was at risk when she was asked to train someone else to do the work who was “half my age, with half my qualifications. The clients will suffer, but that’s not my problem.”

Barred by a non-compete agreement from contacting former clients and unable to sell or rent her condo, Joanne has been looking for part-time assignments to replace her $60,000-a-year salary.

“I know people who went for those interest-only loans. I know better. I have an MBA in finance,” said Joanne. “I actually went way under my head on buying something. It’s very, very upsetting. ... I’ve lost almost my life savings. And how was I supposed to know that? That part is probably the hardest.”

Am I really supposed to feel bad for this dolt?

a) She's a CONSULTANT who signed a ****ing non-compete. Really? How ****ing dumb do you have to be? Consultants who agree to non-competes had better be making enough money GUARANTEED that they can switch careers or simply retire.

b) She's making 60000 dollars a year at 51 years of age with an MBA in finance?

c) Interest-only loans are, if you have a good rate, a GREAT idea. Has this ****ing nincompoop never heard of the primary residence interest income tax deduction? Why the hell would you PAY DOWN a loan which is effectively at 3-4% after taxes are factored in?

d) What the hell has she been doing that her life savings, at 51 years of age, consists of a fraction of the value of a single condo (a low enough fraction that a short sale of the condo left her with almost no equity)?

EDIT: forgot to include the link, I was so angry

Last edited by KrazyHorse; October 26, 2009, 00:29.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

b) is the most pertinent point.

My first job out of school with a simple BSc was more than that.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I bet her "technology consultant" position involved her showing people how to use excel and setting up Windows networks for small offices.
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

She also has the 'woman' handicap, so maybe that is a reasonable salary.

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I love the fact that she was so overpriced at 60k a year that they decided to hire some anthropology major fresh out of a third tier state school to replace her.
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

She's not really a "consultant," you know. That's just a label forced on her by her "clients" so they wouldn't have to pay workers comp. and social security, fool with withholding of income taxes and comply with age-and-gender discrimination laws. For example, real consultants are paid fees, not salaries. And why would you think you "consultant" would compete with you?

She's just some wretched person who got shoved into a dead-end job, with no benefits, and who then was axed when she began to get old.

Comment

MBAs are a dime a dozen these days.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

From podunk u. they are. They still mean something from the top 5 or so. Mainly that you were able to get in.
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                  MBAs are a dime a dozen these days.
                  Unless you went to a top school they're completely useless.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I, of course, will disagree. It doesn't, however, make up for expertise or experience; two things Joanne obviously doesn't have.
                    Monkey!!!

Comment

Anyone that judges two generations based on this woman is just plain stupid.
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

KH isn't stupid. He's just evil.
                        Monkey!!!

Comment

yeah, not stupid, just annoying. And a pompous ass. Buy yeah, not stupid i guess.
                          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Funny, I've had this stuck in my head since church yesterday:

Proverbs 18:12
                            Before his downfall a man's heart is proud,
                            but humility comes before honor.
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                              Anyone that judges two generations based on this woman is just plain stupid.
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                              X