No announcement yet.

**** you, method of characteristics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clebsch-Gordon? I haven't seen that in ages. I got to play around in a Cartesian domain.
    "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
    -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
      I'm going to do far more social good in finance than in a physics department.

No, you really aren't.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

You know as little about economics as you do about physics.

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Solving a heat eq. on cyl. = easy. The hard part comes when he starts throwing in curveballs.

BTW, the process is as follows:

Stock/commodity/interest rates/etc. prices are random -> They follow brownian motion ->
          Now, I've heard everything.

It reminds me of a seminar title I proposed as a joke to my more illustrious colleagues about 15 years ago "Does Chaos Theory explain our current scientific understanding of mucosal immunology?"
          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
          If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
          Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

60 hours before first goldman interview. Trying to relearn all the math I've ever forgotten.
            Tear the system down from the inside.
            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH View Post
              Now, I've heard everything.

It reminds me of a seminar title I proposed as a joke to my more illustrious colleagues about 15 years ago "Does Chaos Theory explain our current scientific understanding of mucosal immunology?"
              Technically, we don't believe that they follow brownian motion. But people think that you can build them from functions of brownian motion differentials
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Technically, we don't believe that they follow brownian motion. But people think that you can build them from functions of brownian motion differentials
                Why build models when you can just rely on Uncle Sugar to cover your big gambling losses? It'd involve a lot less math.
                'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

It's hilarious that people get mad at Goldman. They're basically the only major financial firm that WOULDN'T have faced the threat of going under without gov't support. They walked out into the private equity and stock markets and brought in 11 billion in Tier 1 capital in ONE DAY when the crisis was in full swing.

Goldman
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Screwing the people
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

You don't know how they do it, but they do, right? Otherwise why would they be making more money than you....
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

How about the fact that GS was among the strongest lobbyists against regulating OTC derivatives. You don't think that ****ed us over?

Comment

No.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Yeah, that whole OTC derivative market blowing up and taking down the market wasn't that bad.

Comment

Because market crashes have causes other than a dramatic shift in risk tolerances due to mass psychology?

Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

It's hilarious that people get mad at Goldman. They're basically the only major financial firm that WOULDN'T have faced the threat of going under without gov't support. They walked out into the private equity and stock markets and brought in 11 billion in Tier 1 capital in ONE DAY when the crisis was in full swing.

Goldman
                                It's not that surprising that they could raise that much capital when they fix the game via Uncle Sugar. It's analogous to betting straight up on the Harlem Globe Trotters winning.

He with the most political influence profits. The way the AIG Lehman default swaps were handled by the government to pay them 100% is probably the best example of Goldman exerting their political influence for profit. Why didn't the government negotiate when there was so much latitude for the government to do so. Counter-party failure = 0% payout.

The past 2 years have been a roller coaster of double standard, political capture, and record profits. Goldman is only more notable because the obvious pervasive capture they have.

But like I said, you can make a positive difference if you are employed there and I think you have the backbone to stick up for what's right.

Comment

Working...
                                X