No announcement yet.

Please help me with an english text I've written

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank You, Ben Kenobi. It already IS my master's thesis, and I got very good grade for it. As I've mentioned, I've stripped it off the footnotes. If it wasn't so, you'd be able to see what am I referring to. I was not referring to gizya, but rather ordering religious minorities to wear special dress, forbidding them to build new temples etc. These orders can be found in the codex of Theodosius, as well as in the canons of the synodus in Toledo and other places.

The information about the synod in Toledo I've found here:

ks. A. Baron, ks. H. Pietras (red.), Dokumenty Soborów Powszechnych, t.2, Kraków 2003, str. 310-5 (Sobór Laterański IV, konstytucje 68-9)

in the footnotes of an edition of the canons of the synod in Lateran IV, which, notabene, mention similar anti-jewish laws by the synod of Toledo themselves.
    "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
    I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
    Middle East!

Comment

To answer some of your comments: I can not discuss the origin of Fatimids etc in this article. It is not my thesis, but an article based on it. Being 15 pages + 1-2 pages of footnotes, it will be too long already. Also, it shall be published in the Oriental Review, and the readers of it will know who Fatimids were. Some of your comments are wrong: the church of the Holy Sepulchre, after the first destruction, was restored by a christian from Iraq whose name I forgot, and, after he died, by melkite patriarch of Jerusalem, Orestes, who was himself uncle of the sister of Al-Hakim. Then it was destroyed again by Al-Hakim. After that, it was restored by emperor Constantine Monomach; it was destroyed again by the Turks, and only then it was restored by crusaders.
      No attacks on christians in Alexandria were recorded by historical sources during these times. The patriarchs of Alexandria were residing in the Babylon/Al-Fustat/Cairo aglomeration already, Alexandria was not really important anymore.
      "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
      I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
      Middle East!

Comment

Working...
      X