Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Katy Perry's "I Kissed a Girl" treats lesbianism like it is a vacation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katy Perry's "I Kissed a Girl" treats lesbianism like it is a vacation.

You might think it's PRO-lesbian because Katy Perry's character kissed a girl and "liked it," but it's actually saying that lesbianism is a nice place to visit but Katy Perry's character wouldn't want to live there. Which is sort of an insult.

It's like if I visited your city of New York and I said "New York City is a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there" I am kind of saying the place isn't good enough for me. You probably would -- and in my opinion, should -- feel a little disrespected.

The first thing Katy Perry's character is going to do is run home and tell her boyfriend and "hope he don't mind it." She's definitely asserting that she is a lifetime resident of Heterocity, USA, and would not be returning to Lesbiantown, USA, anytime soon, and certainly not going to move there.

Compare to Jill Sobule's "I Kissed a Girl" in the 1990s, which was a lot more tactful in at least offering the little glimmer of hope that she'd "do it again."

Comment

Originally posted by Mojotronica View Post
      She's definitely asserting that she is a lifetime resident of Heterocity, USA, and would not be returning to Lesbiantown, USA, anytime soon, and certainly not going to move there.

And that's invalid why?

Again, overthinking a silly pop song. It's cynical and almost certainly insincere, but is clearly meant to titillate -- not to make an actual point. The fact that she chose lipstick lesbianism as the meme to exploit is inconsequential, except for the fact that it was very successful in its goal of getting attention and generating sales -- which is what pop music is about.
      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

How does this impact my chances of making it with 3 smoking hot lessbians at once, eh?
        Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
        I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

You can interpret the lyrics any way you want. Only the person who wrote the song knows what they were trying to convey and ultimately it doesn't matter because of what Jrabbit said, it's all about making money.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoth View Post
            How does this impact my chances of making it with 3 smoking hot lessbians at once, eh?
            not at all, seeing as you specified lesbians and have a penis. your chances are zero either way. if you had said "smoking hot bisexual ladies," you might have ground to stand on.
            I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
            [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Katy Perry? I'd hit that.

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                And that's invalid why?

Again, overthinking a silly pop song. It's cynical and almost certainly insincere, but is clearly meant to titillate -- not to make an actual point. The fact that she chose lipstick lesbianism as the meme to exploit is inconsequential, except for the fact that it was very successful in its goal of getting attention and generating sales -- which is what pop music is about.
                You bit that easily?

Comment

I'd hit it.
                  Promoting world peace one bum at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by Cimbri View Post
                    Katy Perry? I'd hit that.
                    Originally posted by bumfister View Post
                    I'd hit it.
                    i'd savage her in ways that would make her useless to other men but me.
                    I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                    [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

You can't turn somebody into a dickgirl by savaging them, sb.

SP
                      I got the Jete from C.C. Sabathia. : Jon Miller

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                        And that's invalid why?

I was thinking the same thing. This isn't Frank O'Hara we're dealing with.
                        "Speaking on the subject of conformity: This rotting concept of the unfathomable nostril mystifies the fuming crotch of my being!!! Stop with the mooing you damned chihuahua!!! Ganglia!! Rats eat babies!" ~ happy noodle boy

Comment

devilmunchkin sighting

personally I think that these DLs are really lame, but if it brings old posters back, perhaps it is a good thing after all!

now if someone would manage to resurrect Fez...

Comment

Like some kind of Zombie Fez?
                            "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
                              devilmunchkin sighting

Comment

Working...
                              X