• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Train narrowly misses sleeping drunk teen

Spiffor?

Grease stains on jacket only evidence of nap on tracks, French police say

updated 9:31 a.m. CT, Mon., Sept . 14, 2009

A drunk French teenager narrowly escaped death on Sunday after falling asleep on a railway track and slumbering undisturbed as a high-speed train roared over him, police said.

The 19-year old, whose name was not released, remained fast asleep face down on a stretch of track near Saint Nolff in southern Brittany, as the Quimper-to-Paris train passed, leaving only a few grease stains on the back of his jacket.

The driver saw the body lying on the tracks and slammed on the brakes, but was only able to stop a few hundred meters further on.

"It was his unconscious state that saved him really, as he lay there completely still like a dead body," said a spokesman for the local police force, adding that the clearance under the train is only around 20 centimeters.

According to the spokesman, the teenager was making his way back from the Saint Nolff music festival when he stopped to take a nap on the railway line.

Roused by police and fire fighters who attended the scene, the young man gave a one-fingered salute before rolling over and going back to sleep.

He was subsequently transferred to a nearby hospital where police say he is still recovering from his alcohol binge.

"He's not really aware of what happened," said the police spokesman.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

He was so close to being a Darwin Award contender.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

"20 centimeters is equal to 7.87 inches." Plus however deep the rails to ground equals.
      In all, about 12 inches? Just think, he may pass on that brain to children he fathers.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

"Train narrowly misses passed out teen" would be more accurate.

Too bad on the failed Darwin Award.
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

"He's not really aware of what happened," said the police spokesman.

Throw him back under then, once he's sober.

Comment

I was narrowly missed by TWO different cars last thursday night at successive intersections not stopping properly at stop signs as I crossed (on rollerblades).
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

**** yeah!
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I've never understood why so many people pass out on train tracks.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Wide-spread cases of "eat up with dumbass".
                  Hell, look at our very own snoopy.

Comment

Originally posted by chequita guevara View Post
                    I find it amusing that people wear headphones while walking train tracks.
                    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

A YouTube classic:

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                        I find it amusing that people wear headphones while walking train tracks.
                        Darwin awards on the hoof.
                        Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                        I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Originally posted by chequita guevara View Post
                          Train tracks are, apparently, the place to sleep one off.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Good for culling old people as well.

OAKVILLE, Ont. - Halton police say an elderly man has died after being hit by a GO train in Oakville.

Police say the man, believed to be in his 80s, walked onto the tracks in front of the train shortly after 6 p.m. on Monday.

Trains were stopped in both directions and GO Transit set up shuttle buses to transport passengers around the scene.

Police says the victim's identity has yet to be confirmed.

An investigation continues.

Comment

That one sounds like a suicide.
                              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                              X