Darwin biopic? Not in MY country!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You noticed that too, huh Kuci?

A controversial film = massive free publicity. "Oh noes! We can't distribute it. It might make some money!!"

Comment

Well, that could be, that the producer thinks it hasn't got a deal because it's controversial, which sound plausible, or that he was told, by distributors, that he didn't get the deal because of controversy, and tells the interviewer so. According is a great word.
      I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

It sez it was based on a book called Annie's Box, so knowing it was furrin it would likely be XXX rated.
        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Well, that could be, that the producer thinks it hasn't got a deal because it's controversial, which sound plausible, or that he was told, by distributors, that he didn't get the deal because of controversy, and tells the interviewer so. According is a great word.
          According to you.

Comment

I think the US is the only place where Darwin's Theories are "controversial"
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Well, there are people who thinks it's impossible to believe in said theories and in God.

I never understood why.

Comment

Because as long as people are making money nobody gives a ****.
                Order of the Fly
                Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison View Post
                  I think the US is the only place where Darwin's Theories are "controversial"

What, do you think the billion or so Muslims are particularly keen on Darwin?
                  Unbelievable!

Comment

There's no book of Genesis in the Qu'ran. So Darwin's theory can't clash with it. That's why Darwin's theory is not really controversial in the Muslim world or, at least, a lot less controversial. At least, that's what I read. However, some Muslim students of mine weren't particularly keen on Darwin. Not sure why.
                    Last edited by Nostromo; September 13, 2009, 09:45.
                    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by Nostromo View Post
                      There's no book of Genesis in the Qu'ran. So Darwin's theory can't clash with it.

That's why I said "Muslims," not "Islam." Do you think "morons in the American Bible Belt who call themselves Christians" represent whether "Christianity" necessarily contradicts evolution?

A 2007 study of religious patterns found that only 8% of Egyptians, 11% of Malaysians, 14% of Pakistanis, 16% of Indonesians, and 22% of Turks agree that Darwin's theory is probably or most certainly true, and a 2006 survey reported that about a quarter of Turkish adults agreed that human beings evolved from earlier animal species. In contrast, the 2007 study found that only 28% of Kazakhs thought that evolution is false; this fraction is much lower than the roughly 40% of U.S. adults with the same opinion (though this could be due to the fact that Kazakhstan is a former republic of the USSR, where Atheism was explicitly endorsed and promoted).[1]

In Turkey, polemics against the theory of evolution have been waged by the Nurculuk movement of Said Nursi since the late 1970s. ... Due to the lack of a detailed account of creation in the Qur'an, other aspects than the literal truth of the scripture are emphasized in the Islamic debate. The most important concept is the idea that there is no such thing as a random event, and that everything happens according to God's will.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_creationism
                      Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by Darius871 View Post
                        You didn't bold the best part, that about the average Kazakh being more enlightened than the average American. Makes you think about if Borat would have been more believable as an American fro Kentucky.

Comment

I've given up on trying to defend this country when people question the intelligence of its citizens. I've come to realize most people are criminally stupid, not just in understanding world geography and the sciences but in the basic concepts of personal finance. People can't even be bothered to read books anymore. Go to any public library and you'll find only Asian and Indian immigrants with their kids and the occasional retirees.

While America isn't the only nation in the world where Darwin's theories are controversial, it's pathetic that so many people in a supposedly developed nation are offended by it.

Comment

Even more so because Darwin and Christianity don't have to clash.
                            "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

That may be true but most evangelicals in America are biblical literalists. For them, creationist scripture cannot be reconciled with darwinism since the bible is supposed to be infallible in their eyes.

Comment

Well that's what you get for straying from the one true church.
                                Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                                The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                                The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Working...
                                X