Murders way, way down in DC this year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Murders way, way down in DC this year

I arrived in DC in 1991, a year in which 479 murders happened inside the city limits.

This year, we're on track for 134, a 72% reduction from 1991 and a 28% reduction from last year. This despite the fact that the economy sucks.

Could it be the cool weather? The final waning of the crack cocaine epidemic?
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Someone must've brought Hope and Change to the region.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

That's actually a pretty interesting hypothesis. It seems possible that Obama had some impact.

More likely, it's all because TimexWatch joined the police force.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

In chicago, the weather plays a big roll. The gangs don't like it too hot or not hot enough.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

We haven't had a murder in DC so far in September. That's pretty amazing, given past experience.

We're probably all becoming old farts. Old farts don't murder anybody.

Comment

Very impressive numbers. We had 70 in Toronto last year, and have 40 so far this year. Of course, we're only ~4.4 times the size of DC.
            "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
            "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
            "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Can you say "Arsenic and Old Lace?" Also that guy that gunned down the guard in downtown DC was pretty old. Even so most of us old farts are not as hot-headed as we once were.
              No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
              "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Baltimore's at about the same rate as last year. Big drop happened from 2007 to 2008

2007: 282
                2008: 234

as of Sept. 9 2009, 151 in 2009

at the same time in 2008: 152
                at the same time in 2007: 215
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Murders way down even without their gang injunction bill or an emergency curfew extension. Take that Jim Graham you bastard.
                  Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Looks like we've exported our murderers to Baltimore and Prince George's County.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                      Someone must've brought Hope and Change to the region.
                      MrFun
                      Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Exporting the murders to PG sounds more likely. That place is turning into a third world county.

Ozzy, I'm guessing you've heard the same curfew ads I've heard about PG. Two things bother me:

1) It's a crime to be outside. That's just anti-freedom in general. Sacrificing a fundamental right (going outside your house) in exchange for the chimerical promise of public safety is a fool's deal.

2) The fines seem outrageous. Assuming that the curfews serve a valid public purpose (and that's giving them a lot), the idea that it's appropriate to fine people who are probably struggling financially really bothers me. Times are tough for everybody, and these curfews are mostly targeting lower income folks who are struggling more that most.

Hooray for DC.
                        John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Perhaps overturning part of DC's gun control laws made the pickins a little harder for the gangs. It no so much fun shooting up neihborhoods when they shoot back.
                          Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                          Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                          "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                          From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Well you see, I moved here to surroundinig DC area and I helped organized the Pink Panthers Militia to help squash violence in the area.
                            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Does anyone know of an instance of a city trying to impose a curfew on everyone including adults. Seems like I was watching a debate on tv a month ago or so about such an attempt. Perhaps it was merely hypothetical. I was at a Chinese place and I was half listening to tv half talking to the person across from me.
                              Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Working...
                              X