Inglourious Basterds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inglourious Basterds

Anyone seen it? I changed my avatar to reflect how much I like the movie. Unfortunately I can't find any really cool images from the film. Eventually they'll trickle down to the nets.

Let's just say Tarantino is god. I don't think that is over stating it.

But seriously, I had my doubts about this movie after the mediocrity of Kill Bill. But the movie kicks all ass. And no one has a thread on it. Shame.
    greatest movie ever made
    11.11%
    second greatest movie ever made
    44.44%
    I realize my mistake not seeing this movie, will see it soon
    44.44%

I don't know the trailer turned me off. Is it meant to seem so B movie-esque? Like Death Proof? If so it might be worth checking out...
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Uh... its Tarantino, of course it's got a lot of B movie-esque stuff.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Is there anything more this time than mindless violence? Not that there's anything wrong with having mindless violence in movies per se. Just wondering....

And yeah, all the reviews here are like "OMG it's teh great" so maybe it's really great.
        Blah

Comment

after the mediocrity of Kill Bill

You lost me there.
          "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
          "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

I just don't get what's so great about Kill Bill. I'm not film analyst, so I can't dissect each film to see what one had that the other didn't. I hate to think I'm sexist, but that might be it. I just have trouble seeing female as action leads. Where as this film has an excellent performance by both Pitt and the german (he's actually austrian) guy who plays the Col. The woman who plays Shoshana did a wonderful job as well. The other actress was pretty good too who played the german double agent.

As for B moive-esqe, not so much. I too, was put off by Death Proof because it was supposed to be a homage to b movies. The problem I have with that is B movies are B movies generally for a reason. Because they suck. Tarantino doesn't seem to understand that these movies were never any good.

As for this movie it delivers A movie performances, but doesn't take itself so seriously. It's more like a dark comedy or parody. Or as I call it: a fantasy revenge tale. It's a mix of several genres really. The performances are all great, and it's not shot to look like a crappy B movie. The cinematography is excellent. The special effects aren't that great. But his movies generally don't require much effects. The main effect I'm talking about is the
            Spoiler:
            knife cutting into the forehead

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro View Post
              Is there anything more this time than mindless violence? Not that there's anything wrong with having mindless violence in movies per se. Just wondering....

And yeah, all the reviews here are like "OMG it's teh great" so maybe it's really great.
              The violence is mindless, but occupies very little of the movie. Most of it is dialogue. And much of it in german and french (so we get English subtitles). Perhaps 1/3 of the film is in foreign languages.

Of course the violence is mindless. Wars by definition are mindless violence.

Comment

Dude, Kill Bill was ****ing awesome.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I haven't gotten to the point where I like Kill Bill, yet.

I haven't liked any Tarentino movie the first time I saw it, it usually takes 2 views to start to enjoy them.

ACK!
                  Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

From what I heard it's not even that violent. I might go see it.

Comment

yeah it's not like mindless action films that have pointless chase scenes every 5 minutes. There is tons of dialogue in german, french, and English. Slight spoiler: and not a single chase scene in the entire movie which I love. And non of this crappy pg-13 stuff that pretends to be an action movie when all it is is a bunch of chase scenes with some unarmed or melee combat at the end, and lots of inanimate objects being blown up with almost no loss of life. Words can't describe how much I hate that.

This is a real man's movie (although women should appreciate the scenes with the women in it). When there's action, there's real action. Blowing up an empty building is not action. Beating a guy with a baseball bat is action. No pg-13 crap, this is rated R for a reason. There is also gore, so you may want to close your eyes when they say scalping and baseball bat and at the end when they talk about uniforms .

But I should note there is not "action" every 5 minutes. So if you are one of those ADD people that like movies like Transformers or GI Joe you are out of luck.

Yes as you all know I'm a relative pacifist (from my other thread last week). And abhore violence, and don't understand why humans are so cruel to each other. But I'm also fascinated with it. So I do watch violent movies, study violent crime and violent wars.

Comment

Tits?

Comment

I hear that the star of the show is Christoph Waltz.
                          Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by Kitschum View Post
                            Tits?
                            none that I recall. It has a real quick flash of a sex scene. I don't recall if it showed her tits. Sadly I have failed in my duties as a man, and wasn't looking at her chest region. Something must be wrong with me. Maybe I have the flu or something to miss that region. I was looking at the guy's face which was hilarious. It was a funny shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Nostromo View Post
                              I hear that the star of the show is Christoph Waltz.
                              yup he was pretty much. Pitt did a good job as well, but his character wasn't as dynamic as Landa's. great performance. Probably will get the oscar nomination for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X