• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California: spiralling even more into oblivion

August 5, 2009

California Prisons Must Cut Inmate Population

By SOLOMON MOORE
    LOS ANGELES — A panel of federal judges ordered the California prison system on Tuesday to reduce its inmate population of 150,000 by 40,000 — roughly 27 percent — within two years.

The judges said that reducing prison crowding in California was the only way to change what they called an unconstitutional prison health care system that causes one unnecessary death a week.

In a scathing 184-page order, the judges said state officials had failed to comply with previous orders to fix the prison health care system and reduce crowding.

The judges left it to state officials to come up with a specific plan within 45 days, saying there was “no need for the state to release presently incarcerated inmates indiscriminately in order to comply with our order.” They recommended remedies including imprisoning fewer nonviolent criminals and reducing the number of technical parole violators.

The order is the largest state prison reduction ever imposed by a federal court over the objection of state officials, legal experts said.

It comes as the state has emerged from a long battle to close a $26 billion budget gap. The latest budget includes severe cuts to social welfare programs, schools and health care. The governor planned to slash spending by reducing the prison population by 27,000 inmates, but law enforcement and victims’ rights groups stopped that.

Attorney General Jerry Brown said in a telephone interview Tuesday that he intended to appeal the ruling. “Eventually, we’re going to have to go to the Supreme Court because I think the California prisons are spending about $14,000 per year per inmate,” Mr. Brown said, adding that the changes the judges ordered would cost more money, which the state does not have.

The special three-judge panel described a chaotic system where prisoners were stacked in triple bunk beds in gymnasiums, hallways and day rooms; where single guards were often forced to monitor scores of inmates at a time; and where ill inmates died for lack of treatment.

“In these overcrowded conditions, inmate-on-inmate violence is almost impossible to prevent, infectious diseases spread more easily, and lockdowns are sometimes the only means by which to maintain control,” the panel wrote. “In short, California’s prisons are bursting at the seams and are impossible to manage.”

Mr. Brown, who is raising money for a possible run for governor, said that some sort of settlement might be negotiated, but he added that he did not believe the court has the authority to cap the state’s prison system.

“California is facing real financial challenges and at the same time the court is ordering standards of care that exceed the standard required under the Constitution,” he said.

The case began as the result of class action lawsuits addressing inadequate medical and mental health care in the prison system. Those lawsuits were resolved years ago. The medical care case ended up with a federal receiver overseeing the system, and the mental health care case with a special master.

“It’s an extraordinary form of federal involvement,” Kara P. Dansky, the executive director of the Stanford University Criminal Justice Center, said of the ruling. “I’m not aware of any other case in which a federal court has entered a prison release of this magnitude over the objection of a state defendant.”

Such federal interventions have become increasingly rare under the Prison Litigation Reform Act, which restricts inmates’ access to courts and prohibits federal courts from imposing population caps on prisons except as a last resort.

Prison reform advocates said Tuesday that the state would probably lose any appeal of the reduction order.

“These are cases that have been going on for more than 15 years,” said David Fathi, the director of the United States program for Human Rights Watch. Mr. Fathi added, “The record in regard to constitutional violations is massive, and the judges have tried other less intrusive remedies before.”

Although the state spent millions of dollars on court-ordered changes, the judges ruled Tuesday that the system still violates the Eighth Amendment of the Constitution, which prohibits cruel and unusual punishment.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has shifted between supporting the court-ordered changes and, as state deficits grew and political pressures intensified, fighting them. In June, Mr. Schwarzenegger reneged on a deal with the federal receiver that would have provided $3 billion to build two prison hospitals and renovate other facilities to create 5,000 beds for ill inmates. An earlier plan was for the state to pay $8 billion for 10,000 prison hospital beds.

The governor has also pushed his own prison construction plan and a parole overhaul as ways to reduce prison crowding and to fix inmate health care services without federal intrusion.

But the court pointed out on Tuesday that the state had not committed enough money toward the governor’s prison construction plan and that even if that money was provided, it would take years for the state to build its way out of the overpopulation crisis.

The judges on the panel were Stephen Reinhardt of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit and two Federal District Court judges from California, Lawrence K. Karlton and Thelton E. Henderson.

Quite a major ****up if you ask me.
    "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
    "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Does this mean more people can soon expect freedom in the land of the free?
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Yep. This is the prime example of California's referendum system run amok.

Several years back, California voters passed the 3-strikes law. It was very good at getting repeat offenders off the streets and into prison for a very, very long time. The thing is, it exploded our prison population.

And Californians, being Californias, would not raise taxes to pay for more prison space. So the prisons filled and overfilled. There's prisoners sleeping in the gyms, in the hallways, basically anywhere there's a horizontal space. Medical facilites were overwhelmed. As the article says, inmate-on-inmate violence cannot be prevented. And California's prisons are now the most inhumane in the nation.

Without money to fix the problem, and without the political backbone necessary to release prisoners, all California's government can do is to stall, file hopeless appeals, renig on agreements, promise and not deliver, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
        Does this mean more people can soon expect freedom in the land of the free?
        Naw. I assure you, California's government has no intention of complying with the law, with court orders, or with any other standard of decency.

Comment

How many pot smokers are locked up in CA?

I'd love a breakdown of the inmates/crimes.
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

ta dah:

Prisoners in general are more likely to be serving sentences for violent offenses than in the past. Violent offenders now constitute a majority (just over 50%) of prisoners, and their share is growing. In contrast, the share of drug offenders is declining – 28 to 21 percent in the past 6 years. Part of this decline results from Proposition 36, which passed in 2000 and diverts non-violent drug offenders from prison to treatment centers.

Overall, the dynamic, complex prison population described in the study, Who’s In Prison? The Changing Demographics of Incarceration, presents considerable challenges for public policy. Besides those discussed above, these are also characteristics of concern:
            • The San Joaquin Valley and Inland Empire contribute disproportionately to the state’s prison population. Between 1990 and 2002, their share of admissions has risen from 11 to 14 percent and from 8 to 15 percent, respectively.
            • The vast majority of prison admissions are inmates being returned from parole because of new offenses or parole violations: In 2004, over two-thirds (67%) of admissions were prisoners being returned to prison.
            • U.S.-born adults are nearly three times as likely as foreign-born adults to be incarcerated; however, foreign-born prisoners are more likely to be serving time for violent offenses (60% vs. 50% among men).
            • Women constitute 7 percent of the total prison population – and their numbers are increasing slightly faster than men’s.
            • A majority of men (52%) are imprisoned for violent crimes. Women are considerably more likely to be serving time for property crimes (36%) or drug offenses (30%).
            • Forty-four percent of California prisoners do not have a high school diploma or GED.
            • “Three Strikes and You’re Out” legislation (1994) has affected African Americans disproportionately – they constitute 38 percent of “striker” offenders, but 29 percent of the overall prison population.
            • Three Strikes and the state’s enactment of the federal Truth in Sentencing program (1994) have produced longer sentences and more time served. Together with Prop 36, they have helped transform the prison population to one increasingly composed of violent offenders.
            The Public Policy Institute of California is a private, nonprofit organization dedicated to improving public policy in California through independent, objective, nonpartisan research on major economic, social, and political issues.

Comment

Isn't it good that the prison population is mostly violent offenders? They are the ones I am most interested in not being on the street...

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

It's good if you keep them there.
                Monkey!!!

Comment

I'm surprised Sloww hasn't suggested what to do with all those prisoners yet. Mind you, it'll probably happen, just not formally. If you can't keep 'em and you can't let 'em go, that just leaves one solution I can think of. The only question is how brazenly they do it.
                  1011 1100
                  Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

We could just conveniently leave them along the Chinese-North Korean border and pretend they are important.
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Execute the murderers, keep the repeat prisoners locked up for eternity, legalize and tax pot. Problem solved.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

texas isn't a country
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Unfortunately
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Yet.
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

i was watching a history channel show about the first texans, and the historians called the settlers illegal aliens
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X