'Jacob's Law' aims to prevent child deaths in hot vehicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Jacob's Law' aims to prevent child deaths in hot vehicles

Texas started the "Amber Alert" program, and here comes another needed program.

3:19 PM Fri, Jul 31, 2009 | Permalink
    Posted by: Walt Zwirko

By TINA FOSTER / WFAA-TV

DALLAS — Almost every summer in Texas, a child dies after being left in a childcare van or bus in the summer heat.

Last year, nine deaths were reported in the state — tragic and preventable.

For one Dallas mom, the loss of her son, Jacob, under those circumstances has spurred activism and new legislation to save lives.

"Jacob was a very active little boy," Avonda Fox recalled. "He was very talkative; he had a very beautiful spirit."

Fox's son died three years ago when he was left in the back of a daycare van for hours in the heat of summer.

"A part of me is gone, and I will never be whole again without my son," Fox said.

She is determined, however, to make sure that no other parent has to suffer in the same way.

Fox — along with ChildCareGroup, lobbied state lawmakers, and they listened.

Starting in September, a new law, named after Jacob, takes effect. Jacob's Law mandates two hours of safety training for childcare workers to ensure that no child gets left behind in a school bus or van.

The Childcare group is holding training sessions for daycare providers called "Search Our Seats."

Large, highly visible placards are used to remind daycare workers to check all seats before leaving a bus or van.

"It's just so preventable," said Rhonda Rakow, a ChildCareGroup trainer. "It really means a lot to be able to give those tools to people."

An emotional video featuring Fox brings tears to daycare workers undergoing training — a reminder of their crucial roles in the lives of little ones.

For Fox, life is forever changed, but she hopes changes made as a result of Jacob's Law will save lives for years to come.

"I just try to give back and try to save childrens' lives," she said. "That's what helps me get through."

A fundraiser will be held Saturday, Aug. 1 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. for the non-profit group named after Jacob: Jacob Fox's Ladder. The event is being held at the Indoor Party Zone, 11621 Reeder Road, in Dallas.

Two training sessions for the community and for child care providers are slated for August.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Starting in September, a new law, named after Jacob, takes effect. Jacob's Law mandates two hours of safety training for childcare workers to ensure that no child gets left behind in a school bus or van.

I'm sorry, but WTF.

2 hours to say "DON'T LEAVE LIVING THINGS IN HOT VEHICLES?"

If it's general safety training, how could that NOT already be mandated by law for certified day-care workers as it is in civilized countries?
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Actually, it's not just a day-care worker problem. Parents do it. Go in to shop, eat, drink or whatever. Pets and children. And no, it's not a Texas-specific problem.
      That's not addresed to you, Asher. I plan for a living, so I know it's coming.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Sorry, I have to agree though. What exactly is this supposed to do? If somebody is so stupid that they'd leave a kid unattended in a car for hours (particularly, but not limited to, on a hot day) then I don't see how this is going to do anything to make them any smarter. I feel bad for the mother, but making her feel better doesn't seem like a good reason to pass a law.
        "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

It doesn't take hours.

Comment

I'm aware; I was referring to this article specifically.
            "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

So Jacob's law has nothing to do with crackers then?
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Education is the answer. Laws are already on the books; we don't need any more.

Leaving a child in a hot car is child endangerment. In at least California, that's a crime. And you can have your child taken away and/or get jail time!

If the kid dies, it's manslaughter -- negligent homicide.

Comment

It's against the law to kidnap a child, also.

Comment

oh i would never have guessed. even in texas?

Comment

only the white kids
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

We could ban both cars and kids to solve a lot of problems right there.

Comment

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

You know, it's easy to say only stupid people do this. But it's very easy for it to happen. We are overworked in this society, and often easily distracted, because of all the crap on our minds.

The problem with this law isn't that it was passed. The problem is, it doesn't go far enough. It should mandate practice, so that it becomes instinctive to check each seat every time workers exit the vehicle, so they don't even have to think about it, just like soldiers practice, practice, practice.

As for Zkrib's point about manslaughter, wtf? You think anyone leaves their kids in the car voluntarily. Okay, yes, it does happen occasionally, to some exceptionally ignorant people. The vast majority of the time, however, its accidental. Unfortunately, it only takes about 15 minutes for the car to become dangerously hot. Fifteen minutes is not very long to be distracted and make a mistake.
                            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

How can anyone accidentally leave a kid in the car?

Che, big government isn't the answer. The people who do this are stupid enough as is, fear of legal consequences won't change anything. As Zkrib already said, this is already illegal.
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                              X