Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I have a chance at making it to graduate school?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chaos & gravity = crazy people with long hair who don't actually do any physics
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I did some undergrad research. Got a good letter of recommendation from it...which I found out later did not get properly sent to Harvard (not that it would have made a difference)
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

If physics = HE theory and Cosmology, I might agree. Especially since many of our well known guys are older...

JM
        (A lot of our HE theorists who are young got poached.)
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Does it matter once you leave academia?

For the most part, I think not.

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

(Apparently) it matters a bit...just as a prestige thing. But once you get through the first interview it stops mattering. And after your first job it matters even less...then the prestige from your first job takes over.
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I'd chime in, but I don't understand how the grad school application process really works. I'd suggest applying to a few top schools and a few safeties; you never know if you might get lucky or not.

I do have to agree with KH on aneeshm's verbal score being bull****, however.
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

You can always tell when somebody's a BSing self-aggrandizer, and I've been getting that feeling from aneeshm for a long time.

I have the self-aggrandizement part, but I hold off on the BS.

Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I wish I had more definitive proof of aneeshm's inability to honestly score 800 on the verbal GRE without extensive test prep than his obvious syntactic difficulties...

My dick grew two sizes when I caught out Hera as fundamentally ignorant of basic statistical ideas. I should go dig up that thread...
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Again, why do you find it so difficult to believe that I scored what I did?

Furthermore, why would I lie? I want an honest assessment of my chances. If I give out false information, you won't be able to give me that. This entire exercise would be futile. Why would I engage in something so pointless?

And finally, what is it that makes you think that I've been self-aggrandising?

Comment

My reasons have been more than adequately explained.

Furthermore, why would I lie? I want an honest assessment of my chances.

That's what you claim to want. What you actually want is a different story.

Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Forget graduate school Aneeshm. Go on "The Apprentice" instead
                        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm View Post
                          What does your experience tell you?
                          No.
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post

My reasons have been more than adequately explained by Mike H.
                            fixed.
                            "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

If you think I have any stake in believing that I got the highest verbal score in Poly history then you're sadly mistaken.

Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                                If you think I have any stake in believing that I got the highest verbal score in Poly history then you're sadly mistaken.

If you replace the word "verbal" in that sentence, when would it not be mistaken?
                                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Working...
                                X