Healthcare Reform Thread II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
    Hopefully it's just that much easier to repeal then.

My prediction (which I know counts for almost nothing) is that just before it takes effect, a lot of large businesses will point out to the federal government that they will have to fire loads of workers/drop healthcare support/expand overseas/etc because of the law and (I think) congress isn't quite stupid enough to let that happen.
    Or Cuccinelli.
    "Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." -- Frédéric Bastiat
    (+7.00, -6.97)

Comment

• Hopefully it's just that much easier to repeal then.

It's not going to be repealed. The GOP won't take both houses of Congress this November and Obama will be re-elected in 2012 unless the Eurozone goes to **** and drags the U.S. into a double-dip recession.
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by epmd View Post
        Or Cuccinelli.
        I don't think that that is very likely to work. It certainly could end up being a huge liability for the court to strike down such a major law. They would have to be extremely careful to make sure that any constitutional basis for striking it down is strong enough to avoid them getting labeled as activist by Obama. If they go too far, congress will just ignore them.
        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post
          Hopefully it's just that much easier to repeal then.

It's not going to be repealed. The GOP won't take both houses of Congress this November and Obama will be re-elected in 2012 unless the Eurozone goes to **** and drags the U.S. into a double-dip recession.
          I have no idea how you can be so certain of this. Unless you're playing Kuciwalker's don't-jinx-it game.

Comment

• Presidential elections are driven almost solely by economic factors. Obama has plenty of time for the economy to improve before 2012, so he will win unless the recovery stalls or reverses.

As for 2010, it's all but impossible for the GOP to take the Senate given the seats that are up for election. It's not going to happen.
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• were 1996, 2000, and 2004 driven by economic issues?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                I don't think that that is very likely to work. It certainly could end up being a huge liability for the court to strike down such a major law. They would have to be extremely careful to make sure that any constitutional basis for striking it down is strong enough to avoid them getting labeled as activist by Obama. If they go too far, congress will just ignore them.
                As long as Obama doesn't get his hell-th care upon us all is forgiven and Cuccinelli will join...people...in the great attorneys general of all time.

I'm sure the court has dicked presidential plans before. (NRA...? AAA...? Bueller...?) And Obama has already dissed the court in his State of the Union address about the campaign financing decision.

Yes, Congress will also dick the Supreme Court.
                "Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." -- Frédéric Bastiat
                (+7.00, -6.97)

Comment

• were 1996, 2000, and 2004 driven by economic issues?

The incumbent won in '96 and '04 because the economy was fine. 2000 was the result of the only other major factor, namely that it's very difficult for one party to control the presidency for more than 2 consecutive terms. Even with that impediment, Gore tied Bush thanks to a strong economy.

KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X