Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In the US we would have charged them with making terrorist threats...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dannubis is an idiot.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Join the crowd, Dannubis.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Space05us View Post
        However, I also think that the US has 0 (zero) moral authority to tell other countries how to behave in this situation given your past track record.

When did morals come in to a discussion about people threatening to blow something up?

edit: I just look morals up in the dictionary, STFU!

Past track record of not having a lot of **** blow up across the country, and not having people use violence as a means of legal bargaining?

I suspect dannubis is alluding to the blowing up of **** and using violence as a means of bargaining in other people's countries.

Comment

Originally posted by ricketyclik View Post
          I suspect dannubis is alluding to the blowing up of **** and using violence as a means of bargaining in other people's countries.
          well then that's not really analogous, now is it?
          Unbelievable!

Comment

If that's what he was getting at, then no.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
              Dannubis is an idiot.
              Good. Now I can join your circle jerk club ?
              "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                Dannubis is an idiot.
                Originally posted by Felch View Post
                Our record isn't perfect, but zero moral authority? Hyperbole is no basis for rational thinking.
                Locking up people on an island and throwing away the key is not something that is done by a state that claims to embrace an independent legal system.

Comment

Originally posted by Space05us View Post
                  However, I also think that the US has 0 (zero) moral authority to tell other countries how to behave in this situation given your past track record.

When did morals come in to a discussion about people threatening to blow something up?

edit: I just look morals up in the dictionary, STFU!

Past track record of not having a lot of **** blow up across the country, and not having people use violence as a means of legal bargaining?
                  WTF ???

i asked if they would be thrown in jail with our without a trial. Reading comprehension 101.

Comment

Originally posted by dannubis View Post
                    Locking up people on an island and throwing away the key is not something that is done by a state that claims to embrace an independent legal system.
                    They're not our people; none of our rights need to apply to them

There's no slippery slope.

Comment

That is pretty slippery as I imagine (DANGER: Godwin coming!) that was much the same as the Nazis said about Jews. As for the Gitmo episode... Yes, it was bad but lots of people have been fighting that in the courts all along and other then the 20% of the population who are brain dead evangelical fundamentalists most people have widely spoken out against such practices. Even accounting for the debauchery of the Bush years (and they are a blemish) it's hard to say 7 years of relatively mild abuses washes away 240 years of other wise good work. Hell, I'd say slavery was a far worse blemish then the actions of the Rethuglicans.

Which goes back to my original point of disagreeing with you about the US having no right to speak out about terrorism or human rights. Naturally, the topic was originally terrorism and terrorist threats while you artfully tried to jack it to human rights but I believe that attempt failed.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by dannubis View Post
                        WTF ???

i asked if they would be thrown in jail with our without a trial. Reading comprehension 101.
                        Which BTW was tactless nor even close to being correct so I thought it was just tongue in cheek. I'm sorry to find it was not.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
                          That is pretty slippery as I imagine (DANGER: Godwin coming!) that was much the same as the Nazis said about Jews. As for the Gitmo episode... Yes, it was bad but lots of people have been fighting that in the courts all along and other then the 20% of the population who are brain dead evangelical fundamentalists most people have widely spoken out against such practices. Even accounting for the debauchery of the Bush years (and they are a blemish) it's hard to say 7 years of relatively mild abuses washes away 240 years of other wise good work. Hell, I'd say slavery was a far worse blemish then the actions of the Rethuglicans.

The Spanish War, Korea, Vietnam, Nicaragua and all the other banana republics, Gulf War I, Iraq. They're just off the top of my head, and I'm no historian.

Don't get me wrong, I like the US and its culture*, but your governments have done some nasty stuff over the years and hoodwinked your population into thinking that they were somehow promoting your values, when really it seems to have been largely about protecting and furthering the financial interests of a small minority.

*Extremist beliefs in market solutions aside.

Comment

You really have no idea what you are talking about do you?

Comment

WTF ???

You made two seperate remarks, seperated as paragraphs.

I agree it is unacceptable. I hope a trial will come from this but I doubt it.

does not equal

I agree it is unacceptable. I hope a trial will come from this but I doubt it. However, I also think that the US has 0 (zero) moral authority to tell other countries how to behave in this situation given your past track record.

Comment

If your country has done x you can't say stuff anymore. Someone needs to shut down Poly and the whole intarweb
                                Blah

Comment

Working...
                                X