Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox "too expensive" for the State Dept....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Solomwi View Post
    Luddites, BC?
    Yep, that was the term I couldn't remember - thanks
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

In the city I work for, there's political value given to open source software. We try to go in that direction.

However, despite that, the only open source software we're using is open office. Implementing it has been quite costly (because we had to train the employees), and quite disorganizing (because most of our professional software exports data only to the microsoft suite). It also creates problems when we communicate with other local institutions, most of which using word, and thus unable to open our .odt... (despite a law that forces administrations to use an open format when communicating outside).

Several years after the implementation of OpenOffice, we still have quite a few people *****ing about it. And since the problems we have experienced would mostly be solved with money (or at leat with an IT team that isn't chronically understaffed), we have pretty much put an halt to our open source development.

And yes, even implementing ****ing Firefox would be difficult in this context.
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

It's retarded to use OpenOffice system-wide when you expect to get a reasonable amount of work done.

For this reason, it's fine for the government to use it.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Execute all those who can't successfully use a browser on their own. Win win.
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
          X