Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you man enough to kill a rat by stepping on it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Barnabas View Post

The door has big holes, which would let her escape.
    We rudimentarily covered those holes with old newspapers and sellotape.
    Because of that sometimes I can see the rat through the sellotape, or hear her screeching, and eating the newspaper.
    It's got another exit. Rats have very powerful teeth, and a hungry rat can easily chew through a partition wall or an inch of hardwood in a single night.

Newspaper and sellotape wouldn't last seconds if the rat was seriously trying to get through there.
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

They came many times but must have been paid off well.

Where there are people there will be rodents, and if the weather permits cockroaches. As long as they aren't getting into the food supply, and as long as the rodents don't cover the floor, there is not enough of a health hazard to warrant batting an eye at.

People are so ****ing squeamish it's pathetic.

Comment

weather permitting? I think they can go everywhere. Yes we even have them in the desert. Though the city isn't exactly desert, with all the moisture around in people's homes. And that's where the roaches go.

And yes I'm one of the squeemish ones. I've been a city boy all my life. I'm just not comfortable killing things.

We do have mice in our city as well. I had one in my house when I first moved in. I had to put a rag where the dryer vent comes through the floor. That seems to stop them from coming in- though if they were desperate enough they could probably chew through that. But they go for easier pickens.

We don't usually have enough moisture to support rats. Though some of the high end communities have rats. It's ironic that the most luxerious and well off communities in Las Vegas have rats. That's becaues of the extensive landscaping and massive water usage. Rich people in our city use so much water, it's ridiculous, and yet poor people have to bear the brunt of the water restrictions.

Comment

Originally posted by Ming View Post
          When I lived in the city, we lived in a four floor walk up above a restaurant. The restaurant was infested with cockroaches and rats (we never ate there ) When I caught mice or rats with your standard spring traps, I would release them behind the restaurant and watch them run back in. Then I would call the health department.
          They came many times but must have been paid off well. The restaurant did finally go out of business and was replaced with one that kept things much cleaner.
          That must've been during the super rat years.
          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Ming View Post
            When I lived in the city, we lived in a four floor walk up above a restaurant. The restaurant was infested with cockroaches and rats (we never ate there ) When I caught mice or rats with your standard spring traps, I would release them behind the restaurant and watch them run back in. Then I would call the health department.
            They came many times but must have been paid off well. The restaurant did finally go out of business and was replaced with one that kept things much cleaner.
            Meanwhile, those rats were making the greatest french cuisine and you denied the world their genius.
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

oh I forgot to post my solution. Shotgun.

Comment

Originally posted by Space05us View Post

Where there are people there will be rodents, and if the weather permits cockroaches. As long as they aren't getting into the food supply, and as long as the rodents don't cover the floor, there is not enough of a health hazard to warrant batting an eye at.

Oh sure. You enjoy using your silverware that the mice have pooped all over. Have fun breathing in the smell of their dead carcasses rotting in the walls. Pass the time scratching yourself from the fleas that they brought in. Mice should only exist in laboratories and movies.
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Theben View Post
                  I also, but with smaller rodentia.
                  The majority of mine were filed mice in a hunting camp. Only 2 rattus norwigicus among my pedal kills.
                  Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                  Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                  "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                  From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Originally posted by Barnabas View Post
                    The issue is this is a hotel, guests can't find out we have a RAT, in that room next to the reception.
                    -Ees not rat. Ees hamster!!

Comment

The solution is good gloves to ward off rat entrail splashes and a steel-headed hammer. And yes I have done it many times when the wife uses spring traps or glue traps. I banned the spring traps when I saw the size of our local targets. Those traps are more likely to hurt my cats than these second generation silo-bred rats. It's a lot harder to shoot Bambi's older brother than it is to kill a red-eyed, yellow-fanged, snaky-tailed rat!

The range for cockroaches is limited by altitude. Aren't any above a certain height. Mice and rats are everywhere.
                      Last edited by Blaupanzer; July 13, 2009, 16:42. Reason: add 2nd para
                      No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                      "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Ah, cockroaches. When young, my home had various rock walls with ivy, wonderful roach habitat. I had a daisy BB gun whose bore was just right for a strike anywhere kitchen match. Pachung!! the roach would be impaled by the match which would then strick on the rock wall. Near simultaneous skewering and flash burning.
                        Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                        Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                        "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                        From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

I've snapped the necks of rats with my bare hands. I don't think treading on one would cause me too much difficulty...
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola View Post
                            I have been victorious in several bouts of foot to rodent combat, in various locations.
                            I am 1-0 in my sole combat. I was visiting a friend in his basement apartment and had just entered when his roomate was poking behind the fridge for a rat that had just moments before come into their apartment. The art scurred out straight at me and I confess it was just a reflex
                            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Space05us View Post

Dang I have never been so glad to live far enough north that this is so much less of a problem
                              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I've never caught a rat but I have caught several mice and each one was either killed quickly by the means of catching, or lived long enough to seriously regret ever being born.

One mouse got the microwave treatment. Another one was thrown into a bucket of urine and paddled around a bit until I added bleach, which caused the gaseous HCl to degrade its lung tissues and kill it. Another one I freed from the trap but cut off legs until it could no longer walk and then let out a load of ants over it.

I do not like mice.
                                "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Working...
                                X