Smoking ban in U.S. military?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoking ban in U.S. military?

This must be a joke right? Yes I know you go without smokes during boot camp. So how hard is it to extend that to all active service? My main concern is with meeting recruitment goals. but the general did have a decent point about stress relief. Although non smokers are able to find that stress relief somehow...

And they seem to want to phase out smokeless tobacco too. I knew many guys in the navy who dipped. It was much easier than going to the smoke pad (which can get smoky ). The smoke pad is on a sponson outside or the fantail. And can get crowded, or closed during refueling operations. Dip was annoying because you'd get people's spit all over you when you were cleaning up soda cans (which people spit into). Or when taking out the trash. I wouldn't mind seeing that go.

I'll go ahead and make this a poll. Express your thoughts on the matter. I know the goverment "owns" you in the military, but this is a bit much.
    yes
    32.00%
    no
    52.00%
    I have absolutely no opinion on this matter at all
    16.00%
    b option
    0.00%

They should work harder on preventing lead poisoning instead.
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

People are such cry babies about smoking these days. Lung cancer is one of our best hopes for staving off the collapse of Social Security.
      John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

I voted No.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

No but they do need a pole-smoking ban for the navy.

Comment

I voted 'Yes'.

ACK!
            Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Dis points out a good question. When recruitment is faltering, why put in more barriers in place that don't do anything to increase the quality of soldier (by the time they are seriously affected in breathing ability, I assume they'll be too old to actually fight in wars)?
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Recruitment isn't really faultering.

The larger question here is that they are trying to ban it period, not just say on military bases or while on duty. Is this even possible? As it is smoking is already banned in all work and general areas just like it is at other federal facilities. You have to go to designated areas.

This accomplishes nothing. This is even more ridiculous because you still have to pass your PT tests twice a year, if you were smoking yourself to death this would not be possible.
                "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

What we need overall are more rules, regulations and laws. Not just the military.
                  No, everyone needs more rules.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                    What we need overall are more rules, regulations and laws. Not just the military.
                    No, everyone needs more rules.
                    Ehrm, that would actually mean that you have to give up your guns
                    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I believe he was being sarcastic
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Thank you, Imran.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos View Post
                          This accomplishes nothing. This is even more ridiculous because you still have to pass your PT tests twice a year, if you were smoking yourself to death this would not be possible.
                          One thing is when the soliders are safe at their bases, but try to control it when they are in combat areas is pretty stupid. I guess that the old "only two per stick" is obsolete, guess that even one is one to much. Still, taking that away from active soldiers is pretty stupid considering what they are doing - I mean risk of cancer in 30 years compared to a bullet.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                            I believe he was being sarcastic
                            Texans can't be sarcastic

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                              Dis points out a good question. When recruitment is faltering, why put in more barriers in place that don't do anything to increase the quality of soldier (by the time they are seriously affected in breathing ability, I assume they'll be too old to actually fight in wars)?

Forget about recruitment; what worries me is that based on the grunts I know, this is probably the government action most likely to incite a Seven Days in May scenario.
                              Unbelievable!

Comment

Working...
                              X