No announcement yet.

Days of our Pitiful Little Lives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So who's the Pizza Czar of Poly now, is it still Oerdin or is Elok taking the reigns?
    Order of the Fly
    Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Elok needs a +48" whopper to beat out Oerdin, or would that make him a burger czar?
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Call in Gordon Ramsay - could be interesting and you could learn some new **** words.
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
          Gordon Ramsay
          Poser. How many times has he been arrested for assault or possession of illegal substances? How often does he chase incompetent subordinates around with a butcher knife? He just says **** a lot, any **** can do that.

Comment

Well, I could be wrong, but I think that he probably would have to be drugged heavily with illegal susbstances if he should be talked into visiting Elok's place, and it sounds like the knife hunting could happen
            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

A paycheck is a paycheck.

Comment

Elok, you're no PhD, just in case? I mean because you work at a Pizza restaurant?
                "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Just keep out of it, if it's gone on this long all you can do is become part of the mess. Alternately you have 2 other choices:

1) Play 'above the fray' and become a neutral party that all sides feel safe unloading their petty crap upon, assuming you can stomach this. The benefit is insight into the mind petty office bs which will happen wherever you go so you may as well figure out how people behave in these situations.

2) Jump right in and create havoc. The wilder the story, the better. Play both sides off of each other and let the chaos spread. You may lose your job from it, but it should be entertaining. Also you'll get valuable experience at manipulating people.
                  I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                  I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                    My workplace--I'm still at the pizza restaurant, due to the crap economy--has fallen prey to the Drama Monster. It's hard to place the exact point when this began to happen, but somewhere along the line business dropped too low, and the powers-that-be started cutting back hours, understaffing the store. They probably would have fired most or all of us, except too many people have been quitting and they can't hire and assimilate new people fast enough to compensate for losses.

Anyway, with staff too low, we're having a hard time getting everything done in terms of prep, cleaning, et cetera. Inevitably, one shift manager had to leave something unfinished for the next shift after a busy night. The next manager resented this, and in a very mature retaliatory way left something else undone; it might have been something petty, like dishes. It doesn't matter. Fast forward two weeks, and there's some sort of passive-aggressive lower-management spat going on. And it's accumulating power at a dangerous speed. Soon I fear it will attain a critical mass of bull**** and become a Black Hole of Hissy-Fits, engulfing everything near it. It might even spread to other restaurants somehow. I cannot quite fathom how this piddly-ass high-school hooey can build up this much power, but it does. It has a life of its own. It FEEDS!

Currently we have three shift managers, whom I will call Peter, Paul and Mary (this is just for illustration, on the off-chance somebody wants one; I wouldn't give a damn myself, if it didn't threaten my job security). Peter has a lot more experience, and has been working solo for weeks. If it weren't for this current crap he'd be an excellent manager, almost ideal. Paul and Mary are newly promoted, and tend to work jointly. I gather Paul has some sort of criminal record and Mary is only eighteen, so together they form one trustworthy person. Or something. During Peter's shift, Peter *****es nonstop about Paul and Mary, and refuses to do more than the bare minimum required by his job. Paul and Mary, well, they aren't particularly effective anyway, so when they're sabotaging Peter a lot slips through the cracks, deliberately or accidentally. Just last night (a slow night), Mary told us all to be careful what we say around Peter as he can't be trusted. You can probably imagine most of the details. It's a lot like Poly at its worst, only there are paychecks involved so there's reason to care.

Only four regular workers that I know of are free of the horse****: myself, the two Latinos who know they are more valuable than any manager and intend to keep their jobs regardless, and an unusually sensible teenage girl. What do you all suggest I do about this? Thus far I have simply said "I'm staying out of this" during the kvetch-fests, but I don't know how long that will last. I'd simply tell upper management that there's a perfect storm of asshattery brewing, except I fear that will only implicate me in this crap and I don't know what they can do short of firing all the managers. But if I do nothing, the persistent backbiting is likely to drag the restaurant completely under. A pox on normal people and their damned intrigues! Er, present company excepted.

Think you got it rough?
                    Try working with a bunch of women who have fracking P.M.S. everyday.

Comment

In reality they all just hate you.
                      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

What's P.M.S.?

Haha needed to look it up. Silly abbreviations.
                        Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Space05us View Post
                          Poser.
                          That's poseur, you poseur.
                          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

people in the west dont type it that way because its too French-sounding and that is gay.

just sayn. ive been around a bit.
                            Order of the Fly
                            Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

What to do?

**** Mary. Or the sensible teenage girl. Ignore the rest.

-Arrian
                              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
                                That's poseur, you poseur.
                                to touch

Comment

Working...
                                X