Days of our Pitiful Little Lives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Days of our Pitiful Little Lives

My workplace--I'm still at the pizza restaurant, due to the crap economy--has fallen prey to the Drama Monster. It's hard to place the exact point when this began to happen, but somewhere along the line business dropped too low, and the powers-that-be started cutting back hours, understaffing the store. They probably would have fired most or all of us, except too many people have been quitting and they can't hire and assimilate new people fast enough to compensate for losses.

Anyway, with staff too low, we're having a hard time getting everything done in terms of prep, cleaning, et cetera. Inevitably, one shift manager had to leave something unfinished for the next shift after a busy night. The next manager resented this, and in a very mature retaliatory way left something else undone; it might have been something petty, like dishes. It doesn't matter. Fast forward two weeks, and there's some sort of passive-aggressive lower-management spat going on. And it's accumulating power at a dangerous speed. Soon I fear it will attain a critical mass of bull**** and become a Black Hole of Hissy-Fits, engulfing everything near it. It might even spread to other restaurants somehow. I cannot quite fathom how this piddly-ass high-school hooey can build up this much power, but it does. It has a life of its own. It FEEDS!

Currently we have three shift managers, whom I will call Peter, Paul and Mary (this is just for illustration, on the off-chance somebody wants one; I wouldn't give a damn myself, if it didn't threaten my job security). Peter has a lot more experience, and has been working solo for weeks. If it weren't for this current crap he'd be an excellent manager, almost ideal. Paul and Mary are newly promoted, and tend to work jointly. I gather Paul has some sort of criminal record and Mary is only eighteen, so together they form one trustworthy person. Or something. During Peter's shift, Peter *****es nonstop about Paul and Mary, and refuses to do more than the bare minimum required by his job. Paul and Mary, well, they aren't particularly effective anyway, so when they're sabotaging Peter a lot slips through the cracks, deliberately or accidentally. Just last night (a slow night), Mary told us all to be careful what we say around Peter as he can't be trusted. You can probably imagine most of the details. It's a lot like Poly at its worst, only there are paychecks involved so there's reason to care.

Only four regular workers that I know of are free of the horse****: myself, the two Latinos who know they are more valuable than any manager and intend to keep their jobs regardless, and an unusually sensible teenage girl. What do you all suggest I do about this? Thus far I have simply said "I'm staying out of this" during the kvetch-fests, but I don't know how long that will last. I'd simply tell upper management that there's a perfect storm of asshattery brewing, except I fear that will only implicate me in this crap and I don't know what they can do short of firing all the managers. But if I do nothing, the persistent backbiting is likely to drag the restaurant completely under. A pox on normal people and their damned intrigues! Er, present company excepted.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

I know nothing, I see nothing
    Monkey!!!

Comment

Sargent Shultz comes to mind as the perfect solution here. And if anyone asks for you to particpate in any of the sabotage, just look dazed and say, this will benefit our customers how? And go back to what you where doing.

Damn xpost. beat me to it.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Completely with the Sargent Shultz reference...

I'm going to have to stop posting here, rah is assimilating me!
        Monkey!!!

Comment

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOO
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Keep on ignoring.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

If you were working at a post office, this might turn into an interesting story
              "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

There's still potential. Think of the unguarded pizza cutters.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Everyone opens the door for pizza.
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

sensible teenage girl? what? I lost concentration after that.

I haven't ate pizza in like a year anyways. but now I know I'm not. Who puts an 18 year old in charge of anything? Now I know why these disgusting videos of kids doing bad things to food come out. disgusting.

I guess you can't really find any responsible adult who wants that job. I think I'll just make pizza at home.

Comment

as for the drama stay out of it. I can't see how this affects your job security as you say. Most likely the managers will end up fired, and you'll be promoted into their place.

I've made the mistake of entering into workplace politics which is very unlike me. It didn't end well. I was in way over my head.

Comment

I'd sabotage all three of them, while ostensibly ignoring it. If you are gonna have drama in the workplace you might as well be the unknown creator of a lot of the drama.

ACK!
                        Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Oh hell no, Dis. I don't want their job. I suspect the stress of the job is largely what's making them crazy in the first place!
                          1011 1100
                          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

this is an unsolvable situation, dug deep into human habit... but ultimately rests on YOUR shoulders Elok.

It is not whether or not the drama is disrupting you... why are YOU disrupting their drama?
                            Order of the Fly
                            Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                              Oh hell no, Dis. I don't want their job. I suspect the stress of the job is largely what's making them crazy in the first place!
                              How else are you supposed to work your way up to Pizza Czar of Whateverthecrapyourtownisnamed? Be ready to grab these opportunities when you can, because the later stuff requires skill and talent to advance, and that's a ***** of a hurdle.
                              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                              X