I Just Got a US Visa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Just Got a US Visa

It's a tourist visa so I can't stay, but I can come multiple times! 10 year, multiple entry.

Is there anything to see in the US? Landmarks? Historical buildings?

10 or so people are going, a mixed group, some of whom I know, some I don't.
    We're going to the western US (LA, Las Vegas, San Francisco... some of those).
    Timeframe is approximately 15.07.2009-31.07.2009.

It's something of a road trip... renting cars and travelling by road.

This is where I need your help. What are the odds (and cost) of renting (or buying)
    one of these:

Any alternative suggestions? Has to be an american car with a big engine.
    I don't want to go that far from home (in an Airbus!) to drive a Honda!

Nope. Nothing to see here. Stay there.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

It is doubtful you'll be able to find a 50 year old Caddy to rent and drive around the country. There is loads to see and do so why not tell us what sort of stuff you're interested in and maybe we can make some recommendations.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
        Nope. Nothing to see here. Stay there.
        Last time I said I was coming ilegally through Mexico. Isn't this an improvement?
        I'm behaving!

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
          It is doubtful you'll be able to find a 50 year old Caddy to rent and drive around the country. There is loads to see and do so why not tell us what sort of stuff you're interested in and maybe we can make some recommendations.
          Last summer I went to Beijing, and I visited the History, Military and Technology/Space museums.
          Hey, I'm a long-time Civ player, it shows...

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
            Last summer I went to Beijing, and I visited the History, Military and Technology/Space museums.
            Hey, I'm a long-time Civ player, it shows...

BTW... they built a lot of stadia in Beijing and people were very happy... proof that that stuff works.

Comment

I Just Got a US Visa

Comment

I think that you have to go to Cuba to find a reasonable priced car like that - could make it a bit troublesome visiting US afterwards
                With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
                  I think that you have to go to Cuba to find a reasonable priced car like that - could make it a bit troublesome visiting US afterwards
                  Not with Bilge pumps or free labor
                  Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Stay in Vegas, at a table, and watch for those cocktail waitresses. Free drinks while you gamble. Play roulette, bet the outside at first then move to the inside. Or just go to a bar with a video poker machine, free drinks as long as you deposit $20 or so. Gotta see the Luxor, Mandalay Bay aquarium is awesome, Cirque de Solet shows are the best, Ka at MGM is insane. Go to a cabaret. Go to Crazy Horse strip club, or Scores. Both of those are decent. Darlings has full body nudity, but no booze. Hit up the Hoover Dam, and the Nuke test facility *you need major reservations for that*. And go to Coyote Ugly at the New York New York, crazy drunk *****es. Ra at the Luxor has a dress code, slacks button downs, nice shoes *Chuck T's don't count*.
                    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the Blood of Patriots and tyrants" Thomas Jefferson
                    "I can merely plead that I'm in the presence of a superior being."- KrazyHorse

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion View Post
                      It's a tourist visa so I can't stay, but I can come multiple times! 10 year, multiple entry.

Is there anything to see in the US? Landmarks? Historical buildings?

10 or so people are going, a mixed group, some of whom I know, some I don't.
                      We're going to the western US (LA, Las Vegas, San Francisco... some of those).
                      Timeframe is approximately 15.07.2009-31.07.2009.

It's something of a road trip... renting cars and travelling by road.

This is where I need your help. What are the odds (and cost) of renting (or buying)
                      one of these:

Any alternative suggestions? Has to be an american car with a big engine.
                      I don't want to go that far from home (in an Airbus!) to drive a Honda!
                      In SF zero for the Cad. All rental cars in this area will be 2009 autos or just maybe 2010. Were are you going to land. From SF to LA on I-5 is around 6 to 8 hours of driving and 381 miles. On state highway 101, it is 8 to 10 hours driving. From SF to Vegas is around 9 to 10 hours driving, and 571 miles. Do not buy gas in SF. It is over $3.00 a gallon. Some of the towns around SF will have gas under $3.00.
                      Last edited by Joseph; July 3, 2009, 00:06.

Comment

What is the deal with visas to enter the US...you sound like a difficult bunch when it comes to permitting entry.
                        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

In the USA, the worse traffic is LA, number 2 is SF. For example, today I drove to Sacramento, about 60 miles from Napa. On the way back on I-80 the traffic east bound was almost wall to wall from the city of Fairfield to Sac. That is a traffice jam almost 45 miles. I turn off on CA-12 to Napa, but as we look at the hill coming from Vallejo, the traffice was wall to wall. Since I know the Bay area some, that means the Traffic was back up to SF. An 86 miles traffic jam. The best driving times in the SF area is, after 9:00 am and prior to 3:00 pm Mon though Fri. Sat and Sun are OK almost any time.

I have driven in LA a lot and it is close to SF for driving times on most Freeways.

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison View Post
                            What is the deal with visas to enter the US...you sound like a difficult bunch when it comes to permitting entry.
                            Post 9/11 they ratcheted up the difficulty in getting a legal visa to an absurd level. It's so bad that foreign students are being accepted into Ivy League schools, meaning they're some of the best and brightest in the world, and the government is denying them visas. :stupid:
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Joe, your right that traffic is no Joke. Thats why I always stuck to the back roads when I would go from San Bern county to San Jose/Modesto. The 15 always sucked, Cahone pass, or whatever it's called, was crap on Fridays and Sundays cause of the weekend exodus and return. LA sucks period, I was backed up 4 hours once just trying to get like 6 miles, had to detour all through LA just to get to the Federal building on Wilshire.
                              "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the Blood of Patriots and tyrants" Thomas Jefferson
                              "I can merely plead that I'm in the presence of a superior being."- KrazyHorse

Comment

Working...
                              X