No announcement yet.

Living and working in a foreign country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JM, go and make sure to marry a Swedish chick before you come back.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I went over to england for a few months, lived outside of London and had a great time. It made me see America through a new light and there were a lot of things I came to question about America, and a lot of things that I took for granted that I really love.

So I would strongly urge anyone with the option to take an extended stay working in a reasonable foreign country to take it.

From a professional standpoint Europe is expensive compared to the US. Your money doesn't go nearly as far. And taxes can be tough. The company I worked for hired an accountant to work it all out so I didn't have to deal with it, but if you were going over on your own I would expect that an equal salary between Sweden and the US would lead to a much lower standard of living in Sweden.

Comment

Originally posted by Kitschum View Post
        On the other hand, there's only 4 hours of darkness in summer, like right now.
        Yeah, and those 4 hours aren't really that dark.

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Kitschum View Post
          On the other hand, there's only 4 hours of darkness in summer, like right now.
          I'm not sure that makes up for the dreary winters but you're near to Stockholm, one of my favorite cities (in the summer).
          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
          If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
          Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

I am pretty sure I will do it.

There is a lot of vacation time too.

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

6 weeks legally. I never took that much but I knew grad students who took more than that.

I wouldnt think it'll hurt your career. Certainly the research there is second to none. The only problem is that if you're looking for a position in academia here you've got to get grants here and make the right connections here. Keep in mind, though, that I'm a cellular microbiologist and the process may be quite different for fisicker-cists.
              We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI

Comment

Booze costs a fortune in Sweden. Your call....

Comment

Maybe i stupid. But I think you have opportunity to have new experiences and do other things and only for two years and then go back home. Why you need details from peoples about public transport and toalet bumag?

If maybe more americans had passports and did such then there would be less stupid posts on forums like this.

Simple answer, should take opportunity as opportunity not as threat.
                  Medvedchik, mne nado tolko malinki nozh. Chik-chik :)

Comment

Originally posted by duke o' york View Post
                    Booze costs a fortune in Sweden. Your call....
                    But flights to the Baltic states are cheap so take regular weekend trips there to stock up on cut priced booze.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I pretty much wanted to do it from the start. I just wanted to find out more information.

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Give it a go...my life seems to be involving a lot of work in other countries currently, although not quite on as long a term as yours. I am currently in Mexico City doing work...it is quite good, I certainly never expected this distance of travel when I started the job but I am not complaining.

Watch out because it is almost definite that I will be in the US a lot next year!
                        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I wanted to mention that if you go you should take the Swedish language classes that are available for foreigners. I didnt go, but have a number of collegues and friends who did, most of whom spoke better swedish than I (despite my having a swedish wife).

Comment

Yeah, I accepted this position and will probably try the Swedish language class. I am also thinking about getting Rosetta Stone software..

JM
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Grats Jon! I wouldn't bother with the software. The class will be more than enough. Grab a phrase book and a dictionary and immerse yourself.
                              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                              X