Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The ****? People's reactions to me this morning.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ****? People's reactions to me this morning.

I just walked up to the corner store to pick up some milk and oatmeal. A few suspicious looking characters turned and walked away from the direction I was headed in. Random not-so-clean people were seemingly going out of their way to say "good morning sir". The workers at the store all called me sir, other people were smiling at me and saying good morning.

I have gone up to that same store dozens, if not hundreds, of times, nobody has ever called me sir before. Except one man who works there. I think he only calls me sir for the same reason I call him sir, it's the appropriate way to address a stranger.

The difference? I've been lifting weights again, but only for the past month or so, so there isn't a very noticeable difference yet. My hair is cut much shorter than it was before, I have a buzzcut now rather than a styled cut. I also killed my beard and sideburns last night (may they rest in peace).

I can only think of two explanations. One, I am more approachable, but wtf was my beard not "sir" worthy? Two, I look like a cop.

Is there another possible explanation I am not considering?

I can see the "look like a cop" thing... the clean cut look seems to be a stereotype of cop.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Were you drenched in blood? That usually changes how folks react.
      John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

You're official old.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Were you drenched in blood? That usually changes how folks react.

No, not much anyway. I mean, my shoes made a sloshing sound.

You're official old.

I'm 22.

Comment

I was sitting at a red light, looked to the car on my left, had a women in it.
            When we made eye contact she locked her doors.
            It was just a quick glance.

Comment

She has good judgement
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Space05us View Post

I'm 22.
                20 is the new 40. Fortunately, 30 is the new 20, so you just need to wait 8 more years.
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

The workers at the store all called me sir, other people were smiling at me and saying good morning.

I say you forgot to put on your pants.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                    She has good judgement

Comment

OP; maybe your fly was down

Doc; stop staring at people, you're freakin' them out
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Docfeelgood View Post
                        I was sitting at a red light, looked to the car on my left, had a women in it.
                        When we made eye contact she locked her doors.
                        It was just a quick glance.
                        You're lucky she didn't mace your car.
                        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Sounds totally like a cop/military vibe to me. Try the same thing with a day-old beard, cut-off jeans and shabby T-shirt and see what happens.
                          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by Space05us View Post
                            I just walked up to the corner store to pick up some milk and oatmeal. A few suspicious looking characters turned and walked away from the direction I was headed in. Random not-so-clean people were seemingly going out of their way to say "good morning sir". The workers at the store all called me sir, other people were smiling at me and saying good morning.

I have gone up to that same store dozens, if not hundreds, of times, nobody has ever called me sir before. Except one man who works there. I think he only calls me sir for the same reason I call him sir, it's the appropriate way to address a stranger.

The difference? I've been lifting weights again, but only for the past month or so, so there isn't a very noticeable difference yet. My hair is cut much shorter than it was before, I have a buzzcut now rather than a styled cut. I also killed my beard and sideburns last night (may they rest in peace).

I can only think of two explanations. One, I am more approachable, but wtf was my beard not "sir" worthy? Two, I look like a cop.

Is there another possible explanation I am not considering?
                            You made a thread about this?
                            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I'm 22.

Comment

Working...
                              X