X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NKorea threatens US; world anticipates missile

Iran or NK. NK or Iran.

By HYUNG-JIN KIM, Associated Press Writer – 12 mins ago

SEOUL, South Korea – North Korea threatened Wednesday to wipe the United States off the map as Washington and its allies watched for signs the regime will launch a series of missiles in the coming days.

Off China's coast, a U.S. destroyer was tailing a North Korean ship suspected of transporting illicit weapons to Myanmar in what could be the first test of U.N. sanctions passed to punish the nation for an underground nuclear test last month.

The Kang Nam left the North Korean port of Nampo a week ago with the USS John S. McCain close behind. The ship, accused of transporting banned goods in the past, is believed bound for Myanmar, according to South Korean and U.S. officials.

The new U.N. Security Council resolution requires member states to seek permission to inspect suspicious cargo. North Korea has said it would consider interception a declaration of war and on Wednesday accused the U.S. of seeking to provoke another Korean War.

"If the U.S. imperialists start another war, the army and people of Korea will ... wipe out the aggressors on the globe once and for all," the official Korean Central News Agency said.

The warning came on the eve of the 59th anniversary of the start of the three-year Korean War, which ended in a truce in 1953, not a peace treaty, leaving the peninsula in state of war.

The U.S. has 28,500 troops in South Korea to protect against an outbreak of hostilities.

Tensions have been high since North Korea launched a long-range rocket in April and then conducted its second underground atomic test on May 25.

Reacting to U.N. condemnation of that test, North Korea walked away from nuclear disarmament talks and warned it would fire a long-range missile.

North Korea has banned ships from the waters off its east coast starting Thursday through July 10 for military exercises, Japan's Coast Guard said.

South Korea's Yonhap news agency reported Wednesday that the North may fire a Scud missile with a range of up to 310 miles (500 kilometers) or a short-range ground-to-ship missile with a range of 100 miles (160 kilometers) during the no-sail period.

A senior South Korean government official said the no-sail ban is believed connected to North Korean plans to fire short- or mid-range missiles. He spoke on condition of anonymity, citing department policy.

U.S. defense and counterproliferation officials in Washington said they also expected the North to launch short- to medium-range missiles. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive intelligence.

South Korea will expedite the introduction of high-tech unmanned aerial surveillance systems and "bunker-buster" bombs in response to North Korea's provocations, the Chosun Ilbo newspaper said, citing unidentified ruling party members.

Meanwhile, a flurry of diplomatic efforts were under way to try getting North Korea to return to disarmament talks.

Russia's top nuclear envoy, Alexei Borodavkin, said after meeting with his South Korean counterpart that Moscow is open to other formats for discussion since Pyongyang has pulled out of formal six-nation negotiations.

In Beijing, top U.S. and Chinese defense officials also discussed North Korea. U.S. Defense Undersecretary Michele Flournoy was heading next to Tokyo and Seoul for talks.

South Korea has proposed high-level "consultations" to discuss North Korea with the U.S., Russia, China and Japan.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

NK stamps feet. World yawns.

Or at least I do.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

^I'm with Arrian. KJ is so insanely insane that he'll probably launch a missile full of kimchi... that crazy nutter, someone send him a card.
      Monkey!!!

Comment

"The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

The new U.N. Security Council resolution requires member states to seek permission to inspect suspicious cargo. North Korea has said it would consider interception a declaration of war and on Wednesday accused the U.S. of seeking to provoke another Korean War.

"If the U.S. imperialists start another war, the army and people of Korea will ... wipe out the aggressors on the globe once and for all," the official Korean Central News Agency said.
          not just insane, but a complete nutter.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Didn't they already declare war on us a week or two ago?

Nuttier than G.W. Carver.
            John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Problem is, he could still flatten Seoul.
              I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

So how long does it take to stop 1 NK ship? I heard about this a couple days ago. Can they not find it?
                "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos View Post
                  QFT.

Kimchi
                  "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun View Post
                    Problem is, he could still flatten Seoul.
                    Bleh, it's like MAD. If Kim blows Seoul to smithereens, he's gone within 24h himself. He's not going to do it, but he can act all tough to the international community. That's nothing more than pitiful rhetoric though.
                    "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                    "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

That's nothing more than pitiful rhetoric though.
                      Are you insulting us?
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                        So how long does it take to stop 1 NK ship? I heard about this a couple days ago. Can they not find it?
                        They can't legally stop it. If they get Sec Council go-ahead, I seem to recall they need to put the question to a General Assembly vote and only a unanimous vote will allow them to search it. Given that NK is a member of the GA this is unlikely at best.
                        "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

So...what does the US currently have? a piece of paper saying they are probably allowed to search it?
                          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia View Post
                            They can't legally stop it. If they get Sec Council go-ahead, I seem to recall they need to put the question to a General Assembly vote and only a unanimous vote will allow them to search it. Given that NK is a member of the GA this is unlikely at best.

Another example of why the UN is useless.
                            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Why doesn't China just gobble up North Korea already?

Comment

Working...
                              X