More of the same ole crap from Obama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More of the same ole crap from Obama

So much for his proclaimed transparency.
    This type of thing is becoming way to familiar.
    I feel sorry for all the suckers that fell for all his snake oil lies.

Lawsuit: White House won't release visitor records
    By PETE YOST – 17 hours ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Obama administration is declining to release documents that would identify visitors to the White House, embracing a legal position taken by the Bush administration, according to a watchdog group that filed a federal lawsuit over access to the records.

The group, Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, filed its lawsuit after being denied access to Secret Service records, including White House entry and exit logs, that would identify coal and energy industry visitors.

The government's refusal to release the records contrasts with President Barack Obama's pledge of transparency.

The Secret Service also turned aside a request by msnbc.com for the names of all White House visitors since Jan. 20.

In a letter, the Homeland Security Department told CREW that most of the records the group seeks are not agency records subject to disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act. Instead, DHS said the records are governed by the Presidential Records Act and not subject to disclosure under the FOIA.

DHS said it had been advised by the Justice Department — it generally defends U.S. government agencies in FOIA cases — that releasing the requested records could reveal information protected by the presidential communications privilege.

The Bush administration fought on the same legal ground for several years in a case that is now before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit.

White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said that, because of CREW's lawsuit, the counsel's office is leading a review into whether to uphold the previous administration's policy of not releasing the logs. He did not have a timeframe for when that review would be done.

Gibbs said the goal is "to uphold the principle of open government" and increased transparency that Obama campaigned on. But he also said that the issue of upholding precedent from previous presidents is a consideration.

At the same time, Gibbs defended the president's right to hold meetings at the White House with undisclosed participants.

"I think there are obviously occasions in which the president is going to meet privately with advisers on topics that are of great national importance, yes," he said.

A week and a half before Obama took office, U.S. District Judge Royce Lamberth brushed aside the Bush administration's argument that revealing Secret Service logs would impede the president's ability to perform his constitutional duties. The court said that the likelihood of harm is not great enough to justify curtailing the public disclosure goals of the FOIA.

The long-running controversy over shielding the identities of visitors to the White House and to the personal residence of the vice president is wrapped up in the influencing peddling scandal involving now-imprisoned lobbyist Jack Abramoff.

In the spring of 2006 when various groups were trying to find out the dates of Abramoff's White House visits, the White House and the Secret Service quietly signed an agreement declaring the Secret Service logs identifying visitors to the White House are not open to the public.

Four months later, Vice President Dick Cheney's office told the Secret Service in a letter that visitor records for the vice president's personal residence "are and shall remain subject to the exclusive ownership, custody and control" of the Office of the Vice President. The controversy over Cheney involved visits by a number of conservative religious leaders to the vice president's residence.

CREW's lawsuit is before U.S. District Judge Emmet Sullivan, a Clinton-era appointee.

Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Executive priviledge
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Yet another case where, once in office, Bush policies suddenly begin to make sense to The One who would benefit from them.

Why anyone would believe that this politician would be different from every other politician is beyond me. But maybe, after a few years, we can look forward to the American public gaining appropriate levels of cynicism.
            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I do have to give him credit for doing a few things differently, but unfortunately, it's just a few. Instead of calling him the one, we should refer to him as the one/quarter.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

As has been said, Bush paved the way to make Obama the most powerful president, like, ever.
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Change!

Of course, it will take 3 1/2 more years.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Mission accomplished !

Of course it has taken ... never mind
                    "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                      Why anyone would believe that this politician would be different from every other politician is beyond me. But maybe, after a few years, we can look forward to the American public gaining appropriate levels of cynicism.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                        Change!

Of course, it will take 3 1/2 more years.
                        You want to bet me (say) 1000$ against Obama winning the 2012 election, Texan?
                        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Killing it is the new killing it
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

The Republicans are certainly doing everything in their power to insure he gets reelected.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Yep. Palin is poised to pick up the reins.
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
                              The Republicans are certainly doing everything in their power to insure he gets reelected.
                              Your take on the actual topic of the thread?
                              Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Working...
                              X