[Serious] Beer thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Krill View Post
    I didn't start drinking properly until my 18th birthday (I didn't like the taste). Since then I've drunk mostly spirits, and snakebite & black (and bottles of mead at formals).

I actually have the reputation for being an alcoholic for some reason.

It's just beer that it took me a while to get the hang of. My dad didn't start drinking more than half a pint until he was 30. My mother OTOH...eh, that side of the family is full of alcoholics, so I suppose that's where I get it from.
    That sounds very icelandic.
    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Try North Coast's Old Rasputin.. it'll knock you on yer arse.
      Monkey!!!

Comment

Question is where are you currently, and do you have any access to American craft beers?
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I'm in Durham, UK. After tuesday I can go anywhere in the country with ease; getting to the continent might be a little difficult: I don;t have a car. I do have a passport without any crappy biometric data though.
          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Carlsberg That's like your version of Bud, no?

I haven't drunk beers over in the UK since 1999 and most of my drinking was up in Scotland, so I probably can't help you much.

I do recall Gillespie's Malt Stout. That was yummy.

I've always like NewCastle Brown, though I'm off it right now. Dunno why, exactly. Drank it for years and years, but lately... meh. I like Bass Ale well enough. Solid. Unspectacular, but solid.

Samuel Smith's is effing great beer (expensive as hell here, though).

-Arrian
            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

My view is that you can't be drinking awesome stuff every day, otherwise it loses its efficacy.

I like Carlsberg, Becks, Kroneberg (sp?) and Bud. They are the filler. Blacksheep, etc provide taste to an evening.

It used to be that cheap vodka drinks provided the filler, now they aren't strong enough
              You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Kronenberg
                Carlsberg
                Black Sheep
                Klatchian Coffee
                Snakebite & Black
                Guinness
                Staropramen
                Amstell

Mixing drinks

Comment

My view is that you can't be drinking awesome stuff every day, otherwise it loses its efficacy.
                  Yes you can. It merely raises your standards, which is a good thing

After all, why bother with inferior brews when ye can hit the jackpot!
                  "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                  "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

no.

Comment

I'm in Durham, UK. After tuesday I can go anywhere in the country with ease; getting to the continent might be a little difficult: I don;t have a car. I do have a passport without any crappy biometric data though.
                      Try Bishops Finger. Strange name, good beer.
                      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH View Post
                        Try Bishops Finger. Strange name, good beer.
                        Kentish Ales.

I tried Fat Tire last night, drank about five of those. It was rather palatable.
                        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I'm completely over macrobrews.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
                            I tried Fat Tire last night, drank about five of those. It was rather palatable.
                            Fat Tire is ok, but I really like the 1554 by New Belgium. That's good stuff:

Born of a flood and centuries-old Belgian text, 1554 Enlightened Black Ale uses a light lager yeast strain and dark chocolaty malts to redefine what dark beer can be. In 1997, a Fort Collins flood destroyed the original recipe our researcher, Phil Benstein, found in the library. So Phil and brewmaster, Peter Bouckaert, traveled to Belgium to retrieve this unique style lost to the ages. Their first challenge was deciphering antiquated script and outdated units of measurement, but trial and error (and many months of in-house sampling) culminated in 1554, a highly quaffable dark beer with a moderate body and mouthfeel.
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Fortyniner by Ringwood brewery is my favourite ale. Well worth a try if you get the chance.

Oh, and Snecklifter by Jennings is decent.
                              Last edited by flipside; June 3, 2009, 10:59. Reason: Added another beer.

Comment

Working...
                              X