Originally posted by DinoDoc
View Post
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Obama nominates NewyoRican female to SCOTUS
Collapse
X
-
Your incoherent rant aside (Winnie the Pooh? WTF), identity has always played a part in politics in general, including Supreme Court nominees (including, gasp, white guys). Again. O'Connor. Marshall. Justify your bald assertions.Last edited by Ramo; May 29, 2009, 01:09."Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
-
You're engaging in a childish and stupid sidestep of your original point which was you decrying people who called this an identity based pick as being racist and or sexist.
My original point was about relative qualifications. Keep up."Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Comment
-
Because your opinion as to the merits of academic (Kagan has been SG for a couple months) vs. appellate experience is worth anything at all.
I know that being dean of Harvard Law School is more impressive than anything on Sotomayor's resume.
KH FOR OWNER!
ASHER FOR CEO!!
GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!
Comment
-
Thank you for that bald assertion. Would you like to introduce another?
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Comment
-
Cant speak to what you think, but why is that? Not that I've ever used the term to describe my beliefs, but once again your response is unrelated to my post. So please answer the question: how did Madison benefit from judicial activism? You said he did and that would somehow make him confirmable today. I already have a bald spot so the less I need to scratch my head after reading yer posts will help me keep the hair I have left.Originally posted by DinoDoc View PostAparently you are less of an originalist than I thought.

The court didn't strike down the law, the court took Madison's side. Where did Jefferson call it judicial activism? And how did Madison benefit from it? When yer done, explain how I have betrayed this alleged originalist ideology Dino thought I had? I haven't even taken a position on anything in the Constitution wrt the case. Dino brought that up as evidence Madison could get confirmed today.Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View PostTo a good number of people of the era, including Jefferson, the SCOTUS acted outside the authority granted by the Constitution and WAS judicial activism. The document does not explicitly state that the Court can strike down laws, does it?
Comment
-
they wouldn't be griping if she was conservative, so it aint about race or gender.Originally posted by Boris Godunov View PostAh, white men whining that a white man wasn't selected for a position that historically has been occupied by 98% white men. Poor things.
Of course, it's a lie that no white males were considered, since Merrick Garland made the list of the final 9 candidates:
So a white male was considered. In the end, a well-qualified candidate was picked. What's the problem?
Comment
-
Whatever happened to the authors know best? Saying you don't take them seriously if they wrote/supported the 1st Amendment and yet passed someone that YOU feel violates the 1st Amendment... well, basically you are just fitting the facts to your point of view then.Originally posted by Berzerker View PostNow which authors of the 1st Amendment supported the Alien & Sedition Act? Shame on them... Do you take seriously the opinion of someone who says they support the 1st Amendment while jailing people for criticizing Congress? I sure dont...
Originally posted by Berzerker View PostThe court didn't strike down the law, the court took Madison's side. Where did Jefferson call it judicial activism? And how did Madison benefit from it? When yer done, explain how I have betrayed this alleged originalist ideology Dino thought I had? I haven't even taken a position on anything in the Constitution wrt the case. Dino brought that up as evidence Madison could get confirmed today.
You must read Marbury v. Madison, because you aren't familiar with the case at all it appears. The SCOTUS struck down portions of the Judiciary Act which mandated the Secretary of State (Madison at the time) had to fill those slots as violating the Constitution. It struck down portions of the law, which took Madison's ultimate side (that he didn't have to make Marbury Justice of the Peace).“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Comment
-
I'll do it for him. Yo' mama's so fat, she affects the tides.Originally posted by Ramo View PostThank you for that bald assertion. Would you like to introduce another?
Anyway, I'd find it vaguely insulting to be picked for fitting a demographic category if I were Sotomayor, but if she's got sufficient judicial experience the grotesquery that is affirmative action doesn't do too much harm. Anybody care to lay odds on her confirmation?
Comment
-
98%. The 2% wiggle is for any embarrasing beastiality picture potential.Anybody care to lay odds on her confirmation?“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Comment
-
Imran, something that has always confused me: Did Jefferson condemn the Marbury v. Madison decision even though he benefited from it? That is, he was the one to order Madison not to deliver the appointments to the Senate, right?Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View PostYou must read Marbury v. Madison, because you aren't familiar with the case at all it appears. The SCOTUS struck down portions of the Judiciary Act which mandated the Secretary of State (Madison at the time) had to fill those slots as violating the Constitution. It struck down portions of the law, which took Madison's ultimate side (that he didn't have to make Marbury Justice of the Peace).Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld
Comment
-
Yes... Jefferson condemned it because the SCOTUS struck down parts of a law. He saw it as Federalist judges trying to take back the power they had lost in the 1800 Election (later on he tried to impeach Associate Justice Samuel Chase for simply being a Federalist, but due to efforts by Vice President Aaron Burr, among others, it was unsuccessful). Jefferson thought they should have won on the facts, as Congress has passed another Judiciary Act and felt it should have been able to be applied retroactively.“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Comment
-
Yeah, it's just weird to see politicians with nuanced positions. *sigh*Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View PostYes... Jefferson condemned it because the SCOTUS struck down parts of a law.Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld
Comment
-
Well it wasn't that nuanced
. It obviously took away some of the legislative and executive branches' powers and gave it to the judiciary. Chief Justice Marshall's genius was that in doing so, he ruled for the (hostile) administration making it hard for them to really do much about it.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Comment
-
Heh. Well. Go Marshall.Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld
Comment
Comment