It's The Year Of The Herman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BeBro View Post
    2000 years ago those Roman imperialist bastards were taught a lesson in the battle of the Teutoburg Forest. Arminius, leader of the Cherusci, became subsequently (esp. in the 19th century) Herman, liberator of all Germans, useful for all kinds of nationalist propaganda blahblah.

Still, nice battle (though we dunno for sure about many details) as far as battles go. And the 2000 yr thing causes all kinds of related stuff to show up this year (exhibitions, books, documentaries etc.etc.).
    Well, one thing we know for sure is,
    that the battle of the Teutoburg Forest never took place in the Teutoburg Forest, but rather near Osnabrück, around 50 km northwest of the Teutoburg Forest.
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

So they faked it!

Comment

Let me get this straight

You krauts are celebrating the fact that you had civilization north of the Rhine/Danube postponed for another millenium or so?

I sense you guys have a sense of humour after all then
        "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
        "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

There were doubts about this FACT?
          Blah

Comment

Germans ought to have a sense of humour. They've pillaged it in Poland during ww2
            "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
            I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
            Middle East!

Comment

Working...
            X