• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mom endangers son, says guv'mit

Family lands in court over son's cancer treatment
    by Sea Stachura, Minnesota Public Radio
    May 8, 2009
    The Brown County attorney is taking one boy's parents to court for refusing additional treatment for his cancer. The south central Minnesota family says it is following their religion by using alternative medicine to treat their son's Hodgkin's lymphoma. The Brown County attorney claims the family is guilty of medical neglect and says the boy could die without chemotherapy.

Sleepy Eye, Minn. — Danny Hauser is sitting on the lawn with his parents at their dairy farm near Sleepy Eye. The 13-year old is one of eight children. His cheeks are full and pink now, but his mom, Colleen, says in mid-January he didn't look this good. He coughed non-stop.

Colleen Hauser"We thought pneumonia," Colleen Hauser said. "We took him up to our local doctor, and he did some X-rays and some lab work, and referred us to Children's Hospital in the Twin Cities at that point. I knew when I saw the blood work that something was wrong."

He was diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma. Multiple hospitals recommended chemotherapy and radiation. The survival rate for Hodgkin's is 80 percent with chemotherapy, according to the Mayo Clinic.

The family refused the treatment.

"I wanted to do alternative medicine. They were aware of that. I just did not like what the chemo did," Hauser said.

James OlsonEventually, Danny received one round of chemotherapy. He didn't return for the second treatment. The hospital contacted authorities and that led Brown County attorney Jim Olson to go to court to file a child in need protection or service petition.

The petition alleges that Colleen and Tony Hauser are medically neglecting Danny. It's in the state's interest to prevent a child from dying from a treatable cancer, according to Olson.

"You have on the one hand the parental rights to decide what's right for their child, keeping with their religious beliefs, their medical and nutritional beliefs. On the other hand you've got the state's interest saying, here's a child we've got a report from the treating doctor saying that this child is in danger because of the decisions the parents are making."

Olson wants the court to require that Danny resume chemotherapy immediately. He said the case is unusual.

"I've been the county attorney for 24 years and I've been an assistant since 1972 and frankly this is the first case I've come across," Olson said.

In 2007, the Minnesota Department of Human Services found that 94 children had been medically neglected. One child died as a result of the alleged neglect. Nationally, courts have based decisions on religious practices and a child's medical treatment on the specifics of the case.

In this instance, the family has a religious and parental right to care for their son in a way that is consistent with their beliefs. The family practices a Native American faith called Nemenhah, Colleen Hauser said.

"It's our religious belief. God has put everything on this earth to heal any kind of whatever-you-want-to-call-it. He has put every plant, herb ... we men just have to find it. And they are finding it. And it's working," she said.

She says regular X-rays and blood work show the tumor has shrunk.

"His health today is unsurpassed to what it was. And I don't know what's wrong with that," Hauser said.

His mother says if Danny weren't getting better, the family would consider chemotherapy. Danny Hauser says he would not.

"I see it as a poison, it poisons your body," Danny Hauser said.

At the age of 13, Danny is not capable of making these life-and-death decisions, according to Brown County attorney Jim Olson.

"If the parents wanted to treat Type II diabetes with diet and nutrition, and they didn't want him on insulin and it wasn't life threatening, well, okay, that's their choice," Olson said.

Colleen Hauser says this is a family decision, and not one for the state. And the family is respecting Danny's wishes.

"He told me this time and time again, 'Mom, I would rather die and be with God rather than go through the hell of chemo.' And that is how he feels. And I as a parent am not going to deprive him of his beliefs," Hauser said.

Asked if his mother was right, that he would rather die that go through chemotherapy, Danny Hauser said, "Yes."

The judge expects to rule today on whether Danny can continue his alternative medicine or has to begin chemotherapy.
    Must begin chemo
    Thoughts?
    The undeserving maintain power by promoting hysteria.

The parents would have a better leg to stand on if they hadn't allowed the first chemo treatment.
    Hard to say it's against your religion if you already allowed it once.
    Sticking to we didn't like what it did would have been a better defense.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

There's been numerous cases about this in Canada also. Religious nutbags prohibiting medical treatment for their children. No blood transfusions, etc.

I think in most cases the government stepped in and forced the treatment.

Edit: Canadian precedent:
      A set of Jehovah's Witness parents refused blood transfusions for their 1-year-old daughter after doctors decided the baby urgently needed them. The baby was made a ward of the state in order to administer blood transfusions. The Supreme Court of Canada ruled that this was a legitimate limitation on religious freedom. [20]
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

yep, I'm guessing they went and researched "Nemenhah" after they decided they didn't want him to get any more chemo.

If you had to pick a cancer to get, Hodgkins would be high on the list of ones to pick -- AFAIK (and according to the story) the chemo works. That makes it worse.

edit: x-post

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
          There's been numerous cases about this in Canada also.
          Sure, in Canada but we Minnesotans are a little more sensible, usually.

I'm familiar with the Jehovah's witness blood transfusion deal. I wonder if it will make any difference that he's at least getting some(voodoo) treatment. There's really no herbal alternative to a blood transfusion.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyMartini View Post
            Sure, in Canada but we Minnesotans are a little more sensible, usually.
            If Minnesotans were sensible, they'd maintain their bridges.

The sensible thing to do is to recognize when a parent is not looking out for the best interests of their child, and remedy the situation as needed.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

If Minnesotans were sensible, they'd maintain their bridges.

My cousin died on that bridge.

Comment

[action=Asher]listens to the crickets.[/action]

How about the local sports team?

Comment

[action=Asher]listens to the crickets.[/action]

How about the local sports team?
                  I'm full of s**t. Pretty low I know, I debated, but in the end, I couldn't resist.

Comment

N00b. You should have kept up that flame for a good hour before coming clean.
                    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Krill View Post
                      N00b. You should have kept up that flame for a good hour before coming clean.

I know, I know, but I felt really dirty as soon as I posted it.

Comment

Charge the parents with child endangerment and drug the kid.

Religion is choice, and you need free will for that. It's obvious that the kid isn't making that decision and the treatment needs to be administered. They can pray for the kid too.
                        Monkey!!!

Comment

**** like this makes me have a ****ing stroke.
                          "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                          "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyMartini View Post
                            I know, I know, but I felt really dirty as soon as I posted it.
                            You're in the OT now dude. This place is so filthy a our local pig upped sticks and left years ago.
                            You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

I thought it was panda poker
                              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                              X