No announcement yet.

Arlen Specter is Switching Parties!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There was nothing wrong with Ramo's statement. Specter switched on card-check to appeal to Republicans. Now he's saying he won't abandon that position.
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

From your linked statement:

I'm not sure what you point is. He would look completely ridiculous if he does another 180 on EFCA within a month.
      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
      -Bokonon

Comment

Becoming an independant would have been a smarter move.
        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Not really. The only way that he wins as an Indy is with strong labor support, which he gave up with his decision on EFCA. He could've plausibly made that move a couple months ago.

Now, the Dem establishment will clear the field for Specter, and he'll win the general in a walk.
          "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
          -Bokonon

Comment

Y'know, with the way the GOP is heading, it's becoming even more of a regional, religionist party whose bloviating public pronouncements prove odious to the plurality of the populace, and unwelcome to the majority.

Arlen Specter leaving, well, that leaves just Collins and Snowe in the northeast?
            B♭3

Comment

You are assuming that the Dems in his district will wholeheartedly accept him after decades of being a willing member of the GOP, and that independants won't look at his hypocritical 180 in disgust.
              "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Interesting development.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

So PA voters will now have the choice of the blatantly cynical flip flopper Specter or the wacknut who will come out of the GOP primary.

Always chose the lesser of two weevils.

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

You are assuming that the Dems in his district will wholeheartedly accept him after decades of being a willing member of the GOP, and that independants won't look at his hypocritical 180 in disgust

State, not district.

Obama and Reid endorsed him. Rendell was openly getting courting Specter, and the only Dem currently in the race has never been elected (and is a Rendell aide, so would likely step aside if asked). I don't see Specter losing the primary, although I hope he doesn't get a free ride. And indies aren't attached to party labels, that's why their indies.
                    -Bokonon

Comment

This does help Toomey, though. The Republican nomination is his, so he can start positioning himself for the general. Time to get a head start on courting those independents.
                      KH FOR OWNER!
                      ASHER FOR CEO!!
                      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Specter had been in secret talks with Senate Democratic leaders for months, according to Senate sources, but his final move to become a Democrat came after a recent poll showed him badly losing a Pennsylvania Republican primary next year.

KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos View Post
                          You are assuming that the Dems in his district will wholeheartedly accept him after decades of being a willing member of the GOP, and that independants won't look at his hypocritical 180 in disgust.
                          Actually, I'm not. Specter's always been a moderate. If he feels that he can no longer be a Republican, then it says something.

Whether he keeps his seat or not, well, I don't really have an opinion yet.
                          B♭3

Comment

I'm disappointed in that I was hoping the moderates in the Republican Party would actually put up a ****ing fight. In this low time, when is a better chance? Tell them they messed up and now we're going to take the party back. Bah... bunch of wusses.
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

FiveThirtyEight uses statistical analysis - hard numbers - to tell compelling stories about elections, politics and American society.

Nate Silver's thoughts on it.

The reason why I think this is worse for the GOP is neatly explained here:
                              FiveThirtyEight uses statistical analysis - hard numbers - to tell compelling stories about elections, politics and American society.

When moderates leave, you don't need to cater to them, so you can be more partisan; which then makes more moderates leave, shrinking and reducing your party further and further.

Specter's already been called a traitor for that whole stimulus bill; it's no wonder he felt unwelcome in the Big Tent of the GOP.
                              B♭3

Comment

IMHO, he's not changing parties to become a Democrat. He's doing it so that he's no longer a Republican. We didn't win him; the Republican'ts lost him.

There's no room for moderation in the Republican't Party.

Comment

Working...
                                X