No announcement yet.

Fast Tracking Healthcare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't recall that Hillary's baby was ever even brought to a floor vote. Can you refresh my memory?
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Just because they were effective in engaging in demagoguery about the specifics of a plan doesn't mean that the public didn't want health care reform. Health care reform in '93-'94 was hurt by a number of factors (complicted rules, terrible marketing, a poor decision making process, lack of consensus among Dems, AARP fearing their parochial interests being hurt, labor pissed off due to NAFTA, peripheral issues like gays in the military and assault weapons ban getting in the way, etc.), but the pivotal one was the decision by the Republicans to obstruct.
      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
      -Bokonon

Comment

Hold on, I'll find the specifics in a minute.
        "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
        -Bokonon

Comment

Why is it that use of the words "reconciliation" or "fast-track" as opposed to "nuclear option" always depends on whether the speaker happens to politically agree with whoever happens to use the procedure?
          Unbelievable!

Comment

You're probably too young to remember the Hillary-led closed-door meetings in the White House putting together the plan. As I recall, it was pretty much dead on arrival.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo View Post
              Some of the legislation that the Republicans considered under reconciliation include:

* 2005 - Legislation That Reduced Spending on Medicaid and Raised Premiums on Upper-Income Medicare Beneficiaries

* 2003 - President Bush's 2003 Tax Cuts

* 2001 - President Bush's Signature $1.35 Trillion Tax Cut

* 2000 - $292 Billion "Marriage Penalty" Tax Cut (VETOED)

* 1997 - Balanced Budget Act

* 1996 - Legislation to Enact Welfare Reform

* 1995 - "Contract With America" Agenda

In other words, Republicans are being whiny little *****es.

Uh, the Dems were whiny little *****es when it was used against them also. Obviously both parties are laughable hypocrites on this issue.
              Unbelievable!

Comment

The forces advocating reform weren't prepared for a Republican Party animated by William Kristol's famous memo, "Defeating President Clinton's Health Care Proposal," which darkly warned that a Democratic victory would save Clinton's political career, revive the politics of the welfare state, and ensure Democratic majorities far into the future. "Any Republican urge to negotiate a 'least bad' compromise with the Democrats, and thereby gain momentary public credit for helping the president 'do something' about health care, should be resisted," wrote Kristol. Republican pollster Bill McInturff advised Congressional Republicans that success in the 1994 midterm elections required "not having health care pass."

In other words, there would be no cooperation. There would be no Republican votes. The problem was compounded because Bob Dole, then the leader of the Senate Republicans and cosponsor of several versions of the health reform bill, was readying his run for the presidency, and knew that handing Clinton this victory would doom him in the Republican primaries. By the time the fight ground to its eventual close, Dole would, astonishingly, vote against multiple compromise bills that carried his name in the title.

Informed analysis of public policy and the politics of power, from a progressive perspective
                -Bokonon

Comment

Uh, the Dems were whiny little *****es when it was used against them also. Obviously both parties are laughable hypocrites on this issue.

I honestly don't remember anyone making a big deal about reconciliation before this Congress. I may be wrong, but I very much doubt that the degree of whining was at all comparable.
                  -Bokonon

Comment

How about you quote respectable sources?

Comment

Uh. The American Prospect is a well-regarded institution. Which one of those sentences would you like further sourcing on?
                      -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo View Post

I honestly don't remember anyone making a big deal about reconciliation before this Congress. I may be wrong, but I very much doubt that the degree of whining was at all comparable.
                        I won't waste any time googling the countless relevant quotes about the grave threat to "constitutional" checks and balances when Jon Stewart already pwned Pelosi on this (skip to about 6:05):

The Daily Show With Jon StewartM - Th 11p / 10c
                        The Ever Spending Story
                        thedailyshow.com
                        Daily Show
                        Full Episodes
                        Economic CrisisPolitical Humor
                        Unbelievable!

Comment

Senate majority/minority leaders vote against bills that they support all the time. It is a parliamentary maneuver used to ensure that they can bring up the bill again in the future.

Comment

Oh wait, you're serious.

I won't waste any time googling the countless relevant quotes when Jon Stewart already pwned Pelosi on this (skip to about 6:05):

Yes, but did anyone pay attention to her? Were there posters on Poly whining about reconciliation? This was insider baseball that the press largely ignored.
                            -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
                              This process was made for tax issues and budget issues. Not health care reform.
                              English translation:

This process was made for issues Republicans care about. Not for issues Democrats care about.

Comment

That's not a very good translation.

Comment

Working...
                                X