No announcement yet.

Cold Fusion -- It's BaaaAAAaaack...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In which case, those exacting scientists who do the tests in their spare time will publish a few articles demonstrating how the sloppy scientists screwed up.

No science was harmed in the preparation of this post.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Every time DanS posts, God kills a scientist.
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Straybow View Post
        We don't see semiconductor transistors in nature, do we? No.
        That's only because the temperatures needed don't exist on Earth and we haven't been any place where temperatures are that low. Maybe we'd observe it on Titan?
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Um...no.
          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

no what?
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

No, you don't know how transistors are made.
              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I'm no scientician, but don't Newton's Laws put the kibosh on cold fusion from the get-go?
                "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

How so?
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Isn't cold fusion, essentially, something for nothing? You get out more than you put in?

Comment

No more so than fusion in general is.

You are releasing nuclear potential energy into heat.

It's the same as burning gas to get heat. In that case the potential energy is chemical in nature rather than nuclear
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Guess I'm wrong. I thought the whole point of cold fusion was that it would supply-literally-limitless energy with a small, finite input. Sort of like a perpetual motion machine.

Regardless, even if I'm wrong in my reasons for dismissing it, Christ on a crutch, how ****ing stupid are we?

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                          Guess I'm wrong. I thought the whole point of cold fusion was that it would supply-literally-limitless energy with a small, finite input. Sort of like a perpetual motion machine.

Regardless, even if I'm wrong in my reasons for dismissing it, Christ on a crutch, how ****ing stupid are we?
                          Well, fusion in general does hold the PROMISE of rather large amounts of cheap energy. Whether or not this can be delivered is a technological question. There is nothing perpetual motion about it; rather, it's simply the existence of large, relatively easily accessible sources of fuel (the oceans contain huge amounts of deuterium and tritium)

The real problem is that in order to create a fusion reaction you have to overcome a large energy barrier (you get paid back and more when you actually achieve fusion). High energies = high temperatures. These crackheads think there's some way around that.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                            No, you don't know how transistors are made.
                            Wasn't paying attention, and was thinking of super-conducting ceramics.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                              The real problem is that in order to create a fusion reaction you have to overcome a large energy barrier (you get paid back and more when you actually achieve fusion). High energies = high temperatures. These crackheads think there's some way around that.
                              So are we talking core-of-the-Sun type temperatures, or is there any hope of achieving fusion at something a little more attainable?

Comment

What's your assessment on fusion bombs for earth clearing, Kitty? Cut a hole through Nicaragua?

Comment

Working...
                                X