No announcement yet.

What to Wear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've worn jeans/t-shirt to the opera in Vienna and Florence (?) and the national theater in Prague. It didn't bother me, but I was underdressed for all of these occasions.

You should get by fine with a nice dress-shirt, a jacket, and wool pants at the Royal Ballet, if you have them.
    Last edited by DanS; April 16, 2009, 17:31.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

If he has pants?
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison View Post
        ...or you could do something less utterly pretentious like go down the pub or something
        I plan on doing a lot of that.
        My wife is a huge ballet fan.
        And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

You should do something she wants to do, since you drug her off to a country where she didn't want to be.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Here is the response I got from the Royal Ballet:

Hi

The Royal Opera House (where the Royal Ballet dance) is a cosmopolitan place - ie a real mix of dress and jeans and t shirts are not too unusual really. A tux is only very rarely seen and not necessary at all - you'd stand out far more in a tux than jeans! A fair number of suits (perhaps 20% of men - depends on night) but not mandatory at all. I guess smart casual is probably the most comfortable place to be dress wise.

I hope you enjoy seeing the company on home turf.

best wishes

Bruce Marriott

Maybe I'll borrow Wiggy's freeballing pink pants.
            And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

So my interpretation of that is that the jacket is even optional. For sure, I wouldn't spend any money buying a jacket if you don't already have one. And the packing logistics may not favor it.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

And you never bothered checking what the Royal Opera House website says?

There is no dress code at the Royal Opera House. You can wear jeans (although most people don't), and you certainly don't have to wear evening dress (although a few do). Most visitors dress fairly smartly, but what you wear is up to you.

You have a green light for the man-kini.

Comment

Originally posted by Supr49er View Post
                  I plan on doing a lot of that.
                  My wife is a huge ballet fan.
                  You know, I'd be more impressed if you were a Supr69er
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison View Post
                    You know, I'd be more impressed if you were a Supr69er
                    One can aspire.

Comment

Working...
                    X