Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They all look the same

Little Higgs models, that is.

There are two types of Little Higgs models: ones where the global symmetry is compound and is collectively broken by multiple condensates, while you gauge a simple subgroup and others where the global symmetry group can be simple and this global symmetry is collectively broken by a gauged compound subgroup.

My intuition tells me that there should be some sort of correspondence or duality between such theories. But AFAIK nobody's published anything on this.

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

No.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

You aren't Kitty. You can't turn things into a yes or no question because you want to.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Don't feel bad. Most of us aren't Kitty either.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I just don't like being told I can't do something.

Comment

Too bad.
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

So whats a "Little Higgs"?

Sounds cute.

Comment

It's a composite Higgs where the mass is protected against one-loop quadratic divergences through collective symmetry breaking (both on the gauge and the yukawa couplings). This collective symmetry breaking generically leads to new heavy gauge bosons and heavy quarks.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Isn't Higgs a chubby young babydaddy from CG?
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Generally the compositeness scale is ~10 TeV, the scale of the new heavy particles is ~1 TeV and the Higgs is naturally ~150 GeV (with little or no fine tuning). This fits inside current experimental bounds, but just barely. AFAIK, if the LHC does not see the Little Higgs structure it will be ruled out without severe fine tuning (the difference between the Higgs mass scale and the compositeness scale is known as the "little hierarchy problem").
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Looks like english.

Comment

I personally will call the Higgs a dead theory if LHC does not find it... it doesn't mean that it can't exist, just that it stops being the obvious and likely theory.

Currently I would be very surprised if the LHC doesn't find it.

JM
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN
                          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Well SOMETHING has to show up pretty soon. Because we are approaching the unitarity bound on WW scattering.

Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

"On asking the candidate why he moved out of theoretical physics [into quantitative finance], he replied 'Why does a bank robber rob a bank?'"

To STEAL MONEY.
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                              X