the catcher in the rye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rah View Post
    War and Peace, how could they write a book about a war that was so boring.
    I found War & Peace to be great. I especially loved how Tolstoy was so meticulously detailed in describing how people were dressed and what their living conditions were like even though I know a lot of people were bored by that. That's one of the reasons its worth so much today because it describes, so perfectly, what life and attitudes were like in late 18th and early 19th century Tsarist Russia.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by onodera View Post
      You read the whole ****ing book when you were 11?
      I waited until I was 19 but John Miller is something of a nerdy bright boy and I mean that as a compliment. That's why he's a PHD in Physics and I am just a geologist, abet a very successful one.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
        I found War & Peace to be great. I especially loved how Tolstoy was so meticulously detailed in describing how people were dressed and what their living conditions were like even though I know a lot of people were bored by that. That's one of the reasons its worth so much today because it describes, so perfectly, what life and attitudes were like in late 18th and early 19th century Tsarist Russia.
        Other authors did the same thing without being so boring. Maybe he just didn't know when to stop. I had quite a few classes in Russian history and literature so I was forced to read a wide variety. While I enjoyed many of the "classics" there were some that just didn't live up to the hype. Unfortuantely that was decades ago and the memory is not as good as it should be.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Is it just me, or is Humour harder to write than insightful histories such as War and Peace?
          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
            The book appeals to whiny, self-absorbed smegs the way DOOM appealed to Harris and Klebold.
            Originally posted by Oerdin
            It's a great American novel with lessons for today.
            See what I mean, folks?
            1011 1100
            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

I just read up on Harris and Klebold... I didn't recognize the names. Apparently Harris wasn't a disaffected youth. He had a mass-murderer mentality, and was planning on killing thousands of people with homemade bombs..
              I'm consitently stupid- Japher
              I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Working...
              X