the catcher in the rye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chequita guevara View Post
    You aren't an angsty teenager. If you hit 18 before reading it, don't ever bother.
    This is the conventional wisdom. I read it in high school, and it was okay. If I tried reading it now, I'd probably hate it.
    John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

A lot of so called classic are crap.

Crime and Punishment with the exception of about 30 pages is one of the most BORING books I've ever read.
      War and Peace, how could they write a book about a war that was so boring.
      The Brothers Karamazov, Okay, I actually liked that one.
      Anna Karenina, could have been written in only about 100 pages and been more enjoyable.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I recently bought, but haven't started yet The Brothers Karamazov.

War and Peace I loved as a 11 yearold, maybe it doesn't hold up well?

I intend to read the other two.

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
          A lot of so called classic are crap.

Crime and Punishment with the exception of about 30 pages is one of the most BORING books I've ever read.
          War and Peace, how could they write a book about a war that was so boring.
          The Brothers Karamazov, Okay, I actually liked that one.
          Anna Karenina, could have been written in only about 100 pages and been more enjoyable.
          Well, Tolstoy has never been know for gripping narratives. I quite liked Dostoevsky, too. You should try Fathers and Sons by Turgenev.
          Graffiti in a public toilet
          Do not require skill or wit
          Among the **** we all are poets
          Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
            War and Peace I loved as a 11 yearold, maybe it doesn't hold up well?
            You read the whole ****ing book when you were 11?
            Graffiti in a public toilet
            Do not require skill or wit
            Among the **** we all are poets
            Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by chequita guevara View Post
              You aren't an angsty teenager. If you hit 18 before reading it, don't ever bother.
              i wouldn't have identified with the character when i was an angsty teenager. i didn't hit my angst until 2002-03 when i was in my early twenties.
              I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
              [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Originally posted by self biased View Post
                i just finished reading it for the first time, and i'm rather thoroughly disappointed. why is this book such a huge deal? the only thing i was really able to take away from it in terms of subtext is that Holden had something to do with his brother allie's death, and that's the reason he's such delinquent. did salinger have some kind of bet with his buddies that he could get just about any piece of garbage published?

or am i missing some greater point?

You've got to keep in mind that most "great literature" was/is written by a nerd for other nerds. A "life changing event" for them is just a regular day for most of us. Thats why most of it is washed-out meaningless drivel. Take a good look at those who enthusiastically teach this stuff. Does it look like he or she has ever actually done anything, or do you think they merely read about events?
                We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH View Post
                  You've got to keep in mind that most "great literature" was/is written by a nerd for other nerds. A "life changing event" for them is just a regular day for most of us.
                  You're know you're posting on poly, right?
                  Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I was aware of the irony but forged ahead with my post anyway since self has a life (judging by his posts we've seen over the years - the one that best sticks in my mind was a series of pictures of his many girlfriends).
                    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

You're probably too narrowly defining the term nerd because you want to avoid uncomfortable associations. See a therapist.
                      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Oh, for the record, I read Catcher in the Rye in high school and still thought it sucked.
                        1011 1100
                        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

and how does this fit in with mark david chapman? and he wasn't the only one who has done some terrible thing (like leave yoko ono still alive) while in possession of that book.

Comment

The book appeals to whiny, self-absorbed smegs the way DOOM appealed to Harris and Klebold.
                            1011 1100
                            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

It's a great American novel with lessons for today.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

what's that, "make sure you get your whore's contract in writing, so her pimp doesn't beat the **** out of you?"

Comment

Working...
                                X