F-22 will see no more orders, VH-71 cancelled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TCO View Post
    Also, I sorta got the impression that some of y'all (Asher, you, DanS) were talking about some sort of hypothetical future state in terms of drone usage. Right now, they are mostly used for intel and for spotting. It would be very silly to have this controlled from the states. Better to have it all in theater (reagional CINC level). A lot of it should really be pushed way down to different operating forces. You get a very different (and better) intel product when the N-6 has to look the CVBG in the eye, reports to him, eats dinner with rest of the staff, etc. That does not mean he doesn't draw on some national assets (sats or the like). But in general, the more you can avoid bearacracy and coordination and the like and have it together, the better. It's human nature.
    Not to restart the argument, but

Better worded than I could put it.

Comment

• ditto...
      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
        Why are we even talking? What does Siro think? He's the pro, he's fought in major wars!
        Ouch.
        I can see you were hurt by my Halo remarks.

I apologize

Comment

• Originally posted by Krill View Post
          Q: How hard would it be to fit an AI into the drone?

That would depend on what you mean by AI. Civ 2 fortress on the south pole AI? pretty easy. An ai capable of making good decisions consistently, not so much.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sirotnikov View Post
            Ouch.
            I can see you were hurt by my Halo remarks.

I apologize
            I just think it's funny that every footsoldier thinks he is more qualified to make high-level decisions than someone who's never been a grunt.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by Krill View Post
              Q: How hard would it be to fit an AI into the drone?
              Depends on the mission level.

If you want a regular daily scan of an area, or primitive missions then it is possible.

real time surveillance is difficult because you corroborate multiple other sources (humint, sigint) and you make on-the-spot decisions that are affected by other combat missions.

as for attack drones - i don't think we'll soon get to a point where an AI is allowed to pull the trigger on it's own.

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
                I just think it's funny that every footsoldier thinks he is more qualified to make high-level decisions than someone who's never been a grunt.
                Look, I appreciate your experience in stuff you do for a living, and I'd hardly argue with you about stuff you know about, while I only operate based on a gut feeling.

You have no clue as to my experience, knowledge or training.

I haven't operated or commanded UAVs personally, but I know people who did, and I spent the entire 2006 war (and several other occasions) in central war rooms and control rooms from where UAVs were operated, and witnessed plenty such operations first hand. Part of my job description was assisting the design of the systems the geo-int operators used for knowledge management. I also studied the basics of UAV (as well as other visint and geoint) operations as part of my training course.

So I suggest you find someone else to speak down to on this issue.

You're a smart guy, but you don't know everything, and you can't always make good judgments in fields in which you don't have experience.

Lucky for you, you have enough self confidence to be a despotic leader of small south American state.

Comment

• Really? I agree that letting an AI make it's own decision is a bad idea on the part of paranoia but still...
                  You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

• Really? I agree that letting an AI make it's own decision is a bad idea on the part of paranoia but still...

Comment

• Bottom line: You've never flown UAVs, neither have I.

Plus to me: I've controlled flight vehicles electronically for about 20 years.

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Bottom line: You've never flown UAVs, neither have I.

Plus to me: I've controlled flight vehicles electronically for about 20 years.

Comment

• plus to me: this is spam and I don't have to think about it

Comment

Comment

Comment

• Asher - any news from poly staff about getting you on the technical board?

I hope you're sane enough not to delete people's posts. This place is acting up, and no one in the technical staff seems to be concerned

Comment

Working...
                                X