Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plague of Somali pirates continues. 5 ships taken over the weekend.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Somalia is a lawless ****hole anyway, I say take off and nuke the site from orbit!
    I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) - Pentagon officials said Wednesday that the American crew of a U.S.-flagged cargo ship had retaken control from Somali pirates who hijacked the vessel far off the Horn of Africa.

The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because information was still preliminary. But they said the hijacked crew had apparently contacted the private company that operates the ship.

At a noon news conference, Maersk Line Ltd. CEO John Reinhart said that the company was working to contact families of the crew.

"Speculation is a dangerous thing when you're in a fluid environment. I will not confirm that the crew has overtaken this ship," he said.

Capt. Joseph Murphy, an instructor at the Massachusetts Maritime Academy, told The Associated Press that his son Shane, the second in command on the ship, had called him to say the crew had regained control.

A U.S. official said the crew had retaken control and had one pirate in custody.

"The crew is back in control of the ship," a U.S. official said at midday, speaking on condition of anonymity because she was not authorized to speak on the record. "It's reported that one pirate is on board under crew control—the other three were trying to flee," the official said. The status of the other pirates was unknown, the official said, but they were reported to "be in the water."

Another U.S. official, citing a readout from an interagency conference call, said: "Multiple reliable sources are now reporting that the Maersk Alabama is now under control of the U.S. crew. The crew reportedly has one pirate in custody. The status of others is unclear, they are believed to be in the water."

The ship was carrying emergency relief to Mombasa, Kenya, when it was hijacked, said Peter Beck-Bang, spokesman for the Copenhagen-based container shipping group A.P. Moller-Maersk.

Syndicated news and opinion website providing continuously updated headlines to top news and analysis sources.

More behind the link.
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler View Post
          But this is the first time a U.S. ship has been taken.
          No, it isn't. The ship is Danish.

Pirates would quickly learn to keep their hands off of U.S. ships.

No, they wouldn't. See the above.

Comment

Originally posted by Winston View Post
            No, it isn't. The ship is Danish.

Pirates would quickly learn to keep their hands off of U.S. ships.

No, they wouldn't. See the above.

The Maersk Alabama is owned by an American subsidiary of a Danish shipping company. The ship flies the American flag.

...Shane, the second in command on the ship, had called him to say the crew had regained control.

A U.S. official said the crew had retaken control and had one pirate in custody.

"The crew is back in control of the ship," a U.S. official said at midday, speaking on condition of anonymity because she was not authorized to speak on the record. "It's reported that one pirate is on board under crew control—the other three were trying to flee,"
            I'm sure Hollywood has dispatched at least one producer to obtain the movie rights.

Comment

The Maersk Alabama is owned by an American subsidiary of a Danish shipping company. The ship flies the American flag.
              Yes, the American flag it flies is Danish too.

And here's to happy endings.

Comment

Everytime a ship has been hijacked, the owners have paid millions to get the ship and the crew back. Everytime. It's no wonder the hijackings continue.

But this is the first time a U.S. ship has been taken.

It's time to send in Navy SEALs, or Green Barets, or Rangers or whatever to free this one, rescue the hostages, and snatch the pirates. Pirates would quickly learn to keep their hands off of U.S. ships.
                No need for those guys.
                Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

I'm sure Hollywood has dispatched at least one producer to obtain the movie rights.
                  Hmm, that sounds familliar somehow...

Comment

Originally posted by Winston View Post
                    Yes, the American flag it flies is Danish too.

And here's to happy endings.
                    Dude, it's called the Maersk Alabama not the Maersk Sjaelland

Comment

You know, I always wonder whenever I see it why they have him wearing Admiral shoulder boards in that poster.
                      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Maybe he was a Navy Seal Admiral?

Comment

HE WAS JUST A COOK!
                          "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoid View Post
                            Dude, it's called the Maersk Alabama not the Maersk Sjaelland
                            Now one thing is taking the piracy to American ships, even if their names indicate some indirect European ownership.

But you'd think the pirates were clever enough to figure out that if a ship is called Alabama you should only expect they're going to defend themselves.

Now does your conscience bother you, tell the truth...

Next time try the Maersk Hawaii, losers. Or maybe the Maersk Utah - good luck to the pirates when they end up on the missionary ferry.

Comment

We are talking about the same pirates who attacked a German auxillary, they are not too good and figuring out their opponents identities beforehand

Comment

Attached Files
                                With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                                X