Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plague of Somali pirates continues. 5 ships taken over the weekend.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plague of Somali pirates continues. 5 ships taken over the weekend.

From BBC news:

Somali pirates seize more vessels

Somali pirates have seized a British-owned cargo ship and a Taiwanese ship, maritime officials say, after capturing three other vessels over the weekend.

The UK-owned Malaspina Castle was boarded in the Gulf of Aden, while the Taiwanese ship was seized near the Seychelles, according to reports.

A French yacht, a Yemeni tugboat and a German ship were also captured in the pirate-plagued waterway at the weekend.

The region is heavily patrolled by a growing international naval coalition.

But correspondents say the pirates have been venturing further off coastal areas to evade the warships from more than a dozen nations patrolling the area in an attempt to deter the gangs.

The 32,000-tonne Malaspina Castle, which was carrying a cargo of iron, was seized on Monday morning.

The vessel, which flies a Panamanian flag, has a crew of 24 - from Bulgaria, Russia, Ukraine and Philippines.

Andrew Mwangura, of the Mombasa-based East African Seafarers' Assistance Programme, told Reuters news agency it is UK-owned but operated by Italians.

The Taiwanese fishing boat, with a crew of 29, was hijacked 260km (160 miles) from the Seychelles.

The French yacht, with four crew, was seized on Saturday off north-east Somalia.

It was being sailed by the pirates towards the Somali Puntland coast, said Kenya-based non-governmental organisation Ecoterra International, which monitors piracy.

The Yemeni tugboat was captured on Sunday, a day after the 20,000-tonne German container vessel, the Hansa Stavanger, was seized.

More than 130 pirates attacks, including close to 50 successful hijackings, were reported in 2008, threatening one of the world's busiest shipping lanes.

A Canadian frigate stopped one piracy act -- they flew a helicopter near the boats with a giant "STOP" sign (in somali). I'm not kidding.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Meanwhile, back in civilization:

World Pillow Fight Day Marred by Detroit Police
      As playful pillow fights unfolded all over the globe, authorities in Detroit "disarmed" participants in a local park, claiming they needed a permit.

On Saturday, World Pillow Fight Day, organized, peaceful pillow fights took place in nearly 100 cities all over the world: in Houston and Hamburg, in Stockholm and Seattle, in Paris, Perth, Philadephia and Padova. And by all accounts, a grand, feathery time was had by all.

Except in Detroit.

In Detroit, when participants showed up at Campus Martius Park at 4PM, toting pillows and ready to rumble, local police intervened and "disarmed" the crowd. According to AP, the cops "confiscated [his] pillows but returned their cases. He says he was told that he needed a permit." A permit for what, no-one is exactly sure -- congregating in a public park? Premeditated fun? Owning a pillow?

Comment

Somali pirates

Comment

I'd hit you with my pillow, but I don't have a permit.

Comment

It still hasn't been adequately explained to me why we don't just shoot pirates on sight. Turning them over to Somalia isn't much of a deterrent, after all, but the death penalty,instantly applied and without exception, might be.
            Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
            Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

WTG, David.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd View Post
                It still hasn't been adequately explained to me why we don't just shoot pirates on sight. Turning them over to Somalia isn't much of a deterrent, after all, but the death penalty,instantly applied and without exception, might be.
                I think they should just be brought before an international court for violating international law.

If we all thought like you, I'd raise the spectre of just shooting all nutso libertarians on sight. Reasoning with them isn't much use, after all, but the death penalty,instantly applied and without exception, might be.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Why the attitude? All they can do is keep your card. Have someone check it out for you.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

shoot the mother ****ers.

Comment

Plain and simple way to get rid of these "pirates":
                      1) Fire on them, when they are seen.
                      2) Explain to your boarding party that the ROE's have changed, and ensure they escalate right to deadly force.

After all, they can't commit piracy when they are DEAD!
                      Please put Asher on your ignore list.
                      Please do not quote Asher.
                      He will go away if we ignore him.

Comment

Plain and simple way to get rid of these "pirates":
                        1) Fire on them, when they are seen.
                        2) Explain to your boarding party that the ROE's have changed, and ensure they escalate right to deadly force.

After all, they can't commit piracy when they are DEAD!
                        Please put Asher on your ignore list.
                        Please do not quote Asher.
                        He will go away if we ignore him.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                          Why the attitude? All they can do is keep your card. Have someone check it out for you.
                          You're proposing a new policy to shoot them dead on sight. I'm merely proposing rather than being judge, jury, and executioner, they should be put on trial.

You know, because I hate big government -- Texans love it. You even let your government kill people. That should scare you.

Comment

Asher,

If we all thought like you, I'd raise the spectre of just shooting all nutso libertarians on sight. Reasoning with them isn't much use, after all, but the death penalty,instantly applied and without exception, might be.
                            The difference is, these nutso libertarians of whom you speak have, presumably, not committed acts of piracy. If they have, then by all means, shoot away.

You're proposing a new policy to shoot them dead on sight. I'm merely proposing rather than being judge, jury, and executioner, they should be put on trial.
                            Put on trial, where? Somalia? That's a joke. If it's an act of piracy committed against a US ship, then sure, put them on trial in the US. I'm even OK with transporting them to the country against whose flagged ship they committed an act of piracy.

But it's easier to just shoot them. They aren't alleged pirates, they're pirates, and we hardly need a jury to tell us so. If they are caught in the act of seizing a ship by force, that's piracy. Shoot them, drop them over the side, whatever, I don't really care, but I do think we need to go back to the death penalty for piracy, and I have no problem with it being carried out immediately and without the benefit of a civilian trial.
                            Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                            Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

kill

Comment

Working...
                              X