No announcement yet.

Why is the left afraid of Glen Beck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's puritanical and dogmatic. You're no better than the commies in this sense.
    I pointed that out years ago on 'poly. I'm sure I'm not the only one to have realized it. Both Libertarianism and Communism are interesting theories that would work wonderfully on some other species.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

...I assumed you were trolling until I read your last couple of posts, KH. What you're talking about is an unstated exception, to my mind perfectly OK given that the exception is a commonly accepted one. It's like the DoI calls for "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness" but doesn't mention that all three can be denied to convicted felons. It's not being disingenuous, just refraining from going into every detail. Sheesh.

Now, I'd like to state here that I AM NOT A LIBERTARIAN myself. I agree that they are naive in general, though not necessarily crazy or bad; I only disagree with the above point.
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Consarn it, I only pressed the button once!
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
          ...I assumed you were trolling until I read your last couple of posts, KH. What you're talking about is an unstated exception, to my mind perfectly OK given that the exception is a commonly accepted one. It's like the DoI calls for "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness" but doesn't mention that all three can be denied to convicted felons. It's not being disingenuous, just refraining from going into every detail. Sheesh.
          You must be having trouble reading, because this is precisely what I'm not making fun of. Analogous to what's gone on so far I'm making fun of somebody who, when pressed on why liberty can be denied to felons, claims that felons don't have any liberty to begin with. Or that they've denied themselves liberty, or something equally specious

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

It seems to me that the "imposition of will" question is a matter of perspective. If I'm defending myself from attack, I'm not actively seeking to impose my will upon you beyond the time it takes me to rip your arm off and beat you to death with it. Obviously, in order to succesfully prevent the imposition of your will on me (as an attacker) I have to impose my will on you i.e. defend myself. Alternatively, I can avoid conflict, which imposes both our wills on both of us (in a strange way).

I suppose I'm more of a libertarian than anything else but without the bull**** definitions. I just want the minimal influence of governments (and others) on me and mine and I'm willing (and more than able) to impose my will where necessary.
            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
            If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
            Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Obviously, in order to succesfully prevent the imposition of your will on me (as an attacker) I have to impose my will on you i.e. defend myself.

This is not obvious to Berz, apparently.

Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH View Post
                I suppose I'm more of a libertarian than anything else but without the bull**** definitions. I just want the minimal influence of governments (and others) on me and mine and I'm willing (and more than able) to impose myself where necessary.
                Your response is exactly what you get from libertarians who aren't insane and who WOULD willingly self-identify as libs if people like Berz didn't make it uncomfortable for those with a functioning brain to agree with them on principle.
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I'm not a libertarian, cause they smoke dope, parse words and don't care about winning elections and actually changing the course of policy.

Comment

Originally posted by TCO View Post
                    I'm not a libertarian, cause they smoke dope, parse words and don't care about winning elections and actually changing the course of policy.
                    Dude, the club for growth guys you get a stiffy for ended up sending a Dem from MD-1 for the first time in forever. Better be careful about your tactics.
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
                      Did Washington endorse the Constitution? Then he was more libertarian than anything else we'd recognize as an ideology today. Well, not in his own life, he owned slaves.
                      Let us also not forget that Washington fully endorsed the Bank of the United States, advocated by his Secretary of the Treasury, Alexander Hamilton. Washington, being more of a Federalist than a Democratic-Republican, endorsed greater federal control.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

This thread was more interesting when people were making fun of Glen Beck.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                          Killing somebody is intruding upon them, as far as I can tell.

I like how you're now trying to turn the conversation from self-defence to flight from danger, by the way.

Lolbertarians are so sad.

They claim that they are against all forceful imposition, then define forceful imposition to mean whatever they want.

I have a feeling they're all Aspies.
                          They and 80% or so of poly.

Comment

Michelle Bachmann is a nut just like Glen Beck but unlike Glen Beck she's actually in Congress. This week Bachmann screamed that Americorp was actually the secret brown shirt army which is supposedly going to man those FEMA camps Glen Beck claims are out there. This lunatic is in Congress. :\
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by rtwinger View Post
                              For those that do not know who he is, Glen Beck is a former CNN anchor, and radio host that recently got a show on Fox News. In a few months, Glen Beck has become the #3 on Fox, behind Hannity and O'Reilly, which is a great success for the guy. Before his show on Fox he had a pretty well syndicated radio ....
                              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
                                see, it's the libertarians which the left is actually afraid of.
                                Not really. There used to be some concern about them b/c the conservative movement since the inauguration of Reagan has been devoid of new ideas. So they had to borrow ideas from the libertopians (you missed this in your list). As such they were the ones to watch.
                                I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                                I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Working...
                                X