No announcement yet.

Senator Stevens to go free.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A technical question, since Stevens was convicted by a jury but the Federal Judge did not yet impose a sentence (apparently because of the prosecutorial misdeeds that he was already aware of), what is Stevens legal status? Is he technically guilty but the case will be dismissed, or is it a mistrial in which case he remains innocent?
    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Apparently the verdict is void.
      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

If thats true, and I'm not assuming its not, then he remains "innocent". I sincerely hope he brings a civil suit against the government. Such misuse of federal power cant be allowed to fade into obscurity.
        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI

Comment

If thats true, and I'm not assuming its not, then he remains "innocent".
          Technically. The prosecutors would have you believe they are not going for a retrial because of lack of evidence, but rather because he is so old and already out of office it is a waste of their time.

I think thats BS and they simply don't have a case, but thats what they say. Not to say he isn't corrupt, but knowing he is and proving he is are completely different matters.
          "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

The prosecutorial misconduct here involved stonewalling orders to turn over evidence that indicated cooked testimony and perjury on the part of a key witness, so make you conclusions about that. The lead prosecutor in the case, Brenda Morris, now has two sets of district judges gunning for her, the other from San Antonio TX. She had a tax fraud prosecution flop here a few years ago, amid accusations of, wait for it, cooked testimony and perjury on the part of the key witness. After finding by the court of "reckless disregard for the truth", the government lost a judgement for $1.34 million in attorney's fees to the defendant. The judge her has been after her scalp since then.
            Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
            Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
            "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
            From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH View Post
              what is Stevens legal status? Is he technically guilty but the case will be dismissed,
              Since I believe a remand order (for new trial) has now been entered at the appeals court, the conviction is reversed and his current status is an unconvicted defendant. When the dismissal at the trial court is entered, he will be free, not guilty, and protected by double jeopardy.
              Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
              Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
              "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
              From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola View Post
                  The prosecutorial misconduct here involved stonewalling orders to turn over evidence that indicated cooked testimony and perjury on the part of a key witness, so make you conclusions about that. The lead prosecutor in the case, Brenda Morris, now has two sets of district judges gunning for her, the other from San Antonio TX. She had a tax fraud prosecution flop here a few years ago, amid accusations of, wait for it, cooked testimony and perjury on the part of the key witness. After finding by the court of "reckless disregard for the truth", the government lost a judgement for $1.34 million in attorney's fees to the defendant. The judge her has been after her scalp since then.
                  I hope he gets that scalp.

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by chequita guevara View Post
                    Yes, but usually, the prosecutors get away with it. Because of Stevens stature, if they'd kept silent and it had popped up during his appeals, you know there'd be hell to pay.

What I'm curious about is why a Bush prosecutor did this.
                    I think you'll find that defense attorneys get away with far more, far more frequently. There are plenty of honest prosecutors out there, and they're regularly screwed by defense attorneys conveniently forgetting that they have to abide by the rules of evidence, etc., too...
                    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

The prosecution has law enforcement and other levers of the state at its power. They're likely to come up with the bulk of the evidence. Assuming that both sides get away with breaking rules regarding evidence at an equal rate, that amounts to a huge bias against the defense.
                      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                      -Bokonon

Comment

Your assumption, however, is massively flawed.

Comment

Is there some way you can substantiate that?
                          "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                          -Bokonon

Comment

No more than you can My parents are attorneys, one a prosecutor, one not; both complain quite frequently about misconduct on the other side, of course, but the problem is that the defense gets away with it because there aren't really any penalties for it unless it's bad enough to get someone disbarred. If a defense attorney doesn't do something he's supposed to, a not guilty verdict doesn't get overturned, after all. They (generally) don't even report to anyone that would meaningfully discipline them... and the attorneys who are best at it, get more clients, because they get a name for doing whatever it takes to get you off.

Prosecutorial misconduct, on the other hand, not only is significantly punished [at minimum, stuff like this, where the case is reversed; and the attorney, being an employee of the state, could easily lose his/her job], but is investigated by the same state that you would blame for abusing its power. Attorney generals (and even district attorneys) aggressively investigate prosecutorial misconduct. It's found and cut out wherever they can; there's a reason that after ONE charge of misconduct, this attorney left and went clear across the country, presumably to somewhere that they hadn't heard of the misconduct charge...

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH View Post
                              For whom?
                              for Stevens

Comment

What I'm curious about is why a Bush prosecutor did this.
                                throwing the fight

Comment

Working...
                                X