Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Senator Stevens to go free.

..because of prosecutorial misconduct.

Morning Edition, April 1, 2009 · The Justice Department on Wednesday asked a federal judge to drop all charges against former Sen. Ted Stevens of Alaska.

A jury convicted Stevens last fall of seven counts of lying on his Senate disclosure form in order to conceal $250,000 in gifts from an oil industry executive and other friends. Stevens was the longest-serving Republican in the Senate. However, he lost his bid for an eighth full term in office just days after he was convicted. Since then, charges of prosecutorial misconduct have delayed his sentencing and prompted defense motions for a new trial.

In a move first reported by NPR, U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said he has decided to drop the case against Stevens rather than continue to defend the conviction in the face of persistent problems stemming from the actions of prosecutors.

"After careful review, I have concluded that certain information should have been provided to the defense for use at trial," Holder said in a statement Wednesday. "In light of this conclusion, and in consideration of the totality of the circumstances of this particular case, I have determined that it is in the interest of justice to dismiss the indictment and not proceed with a new trial."

U.S. District Court Judge Emmett Sullivan set an April 7 hearing on the motion to dismiss the case.

Stevens' lawyers praised Holder's decision and said it was "justified by the extraordinary evidence of government corruption in the prosecution of Sen. Stevens."

The lawyers, Brendan Sullivan and Robert Cary, called the case "a sad story and a warning to everyone. Any citizen can be convicted if prosecutors are hell-bent on ignoring the Constitution and willing to present false evidence."

Stevens said, "I always knew that there would be a day when the cloud that surrounded me would be removed. That day has finally come. It is unfortunate that an election was affected by proceedings now recognized as unfair. It was my great honor to serve the state of Alaska in the United States Senate for 40 years."

Judge Sullivan has repeatedly delayed sentencing and criticized trial prosecutors for what he has called prosecutorial misconduct. At one point, prosecutors were held in contempt. Things got so bad that the Justice Department finally replaced the trial team, including top-ranking officials in the Public Integrity Section, which is charged with prosecuting public corruption cases.

With more ugly hearings expected, Holder is said to have decided late Tuesday to pull the plug. His decision is said to be based on Stevens' age — he's 85 — and the fact that Stevens is no longer in the Senate. Perhaps most important, Justice Department officials say Holder wants to send a message to prosecutors throughout the department that actions he regards as misconduct will not be tolerated.

"The Department of Justice must always ensure that any case in which it is involved is handled fairly and consistent with its commitment to justice," Holder said in his statement.

Holder began his career in the Public Integrity Section; and, according to sources, he was horrified by the failure of prosecutors to turn over all relevant materials to the defense.

The attorney general also knows the trial judge, Emmett Sullivan, well. The two men served together as judges of the Superior Court of the District of Columbia before each was promoted to higher office.

Holder respects Judge Sullivan and reportedly has watched with growing alarm as the judge repeatedly has scolded prosecutors for failing to follow his judicial orders to fully inform defense lawyers about everything from potentially favorable evidence to the travel plans of witnesses. During the trial, prosecutors' missteps led the judge to instruct the jury to disregard some evidence.

Sentencing has been repeatedly delayed. By last month, it was playing a back seat to charges of prosecutorial misconduct —as a whistle-blowing FBI agent made complaints about improper conduct by a fellow agent and prosecutors. With a hearing scheduled in two weeks to explore those charges, Holder decided to review the case himself.

Justice Department officials say they will withdraw their opposition to the defense motion for a new trial and will dismiss the indictment, in effect voiding the Stevens conviction.

Many Alaskans expressed relief at the Justice Department's decision.

Sen. Mark Begich (D-AK), who defeated Stevens in the November election, called the decision to end Stevens' prosecution "reasonable."

"I always said I didn't think Sen. Stevens should serve time in jail and hopefully this decision ensures that is the case," Begich said. "It's time for Sen. Stevens, his family and Alaskans to move on and put this behind us."

Send Patrick Fitzgerald up there, he'll whip them into shape

Honestly I don't care if he serves jail time. He's old, and he already lost plenty: his seat, and his reputation. That'll hurt him - and his party - more than jail time would.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

"............Move on and put this behind us"

WTF!!!!! What planet is this dick from?

From the accounts I've heard so far, there's gonna be hell to pay over this. This doesnt appear to be a case of a small prosecutorial mistake. Holder is trying to downplay the corruption involved. Does anyone think Stevens would've lost the election if he had been acquitted?
      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Probably not, indeed (particularly given how close it was).

Comment

Hang 'em all!
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH View Post
            "............Move on and put this behind us"

WTF!!!!! What planet is this dick from?
            I'm pretty sure that it's the same planet where the Bush Justice Dept was "prosecuting" the case.

At one point, the presiding judge almost dismissed the case due to misconduct of the prosecutors (hiding information, IIRC). The conviction probably ought to be vacated. Which isn't to say that Stevens is innocent, just that the prosecution was grossly negligent.

It really says something about the asymmetry between prosecution and defense in our Justice system when a powerful Senator can be railroaded.
            "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
            -Bokonon

Comment

Somehow I think it does not say what you're thinking it says...

I'd say, it says that there is a huge anti-prosecution bias in the Justice system, that the prosecution in this case *felt it was necessary* to railroad him. It certainly says nothing the other way around, as the elements that define prosecutorial misconduct are part of that asymmetry.

Comment

Yes, but usually, the prosecutors get away with it. Because of Stevens stature, if they'd kept silent and it had popped up during his appeals, you know there'd be hell to pay.

What I'm curious about is why a Bush prosecutor did this.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

It was a Bush administration, but that doesnt mean that the justice department prosecutor was a republican. Given the corruption allegations, there was no way that the investigation and trial could have, or should have, been quashed.
                  We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI

Comment

In a just world, both Stevens and Geithner would be behind bars right now.

Comment

Why must you write things that I agree with!?!

Comment

This country is going down a series of tubes.
                        1011 1100
                        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Fair and equal justice my a*s.

Steal $200, go to jail for years. Run your company into the ground with shady practices losing billions of dollars in the process, get a million dollar bonus.

It's amazing that, no matter where you are in the world or what kind of government you have, the as*holes at the top always have unwritten laws for themselves.

Comment

how convenient

Comment

For whom?

Comment

Working...
                              X